Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Copenhagen?

We want to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen prior to a Baltic cruise in Sept. Can anyone recommend a B&B or small hotel? Many thanks.

Posted by
12040 posts

I was pleased with Ibsens Hotel. One drawback, however, is that if the weather is still warm in September, you may find the room a little warm with the windows closed... and a rather noisy bar sits directly across the street. This was the only time I ever slept in a hotel room with noise-canceling headphones!

Posted by
12172 posts

Your cruise will depart from North of town so you will probably want to look in the North. I like Nyhaven area. There is a metro at Konigs Nytorv right next to Nyhavn. The metro from the airport will get you to Konigs Nytorv in fifteen minutes - less time than it takes to get downtown by train from the airport. We stayed at Hotel Opera (about a block from the metro) and Hotel Phoenix (about three blocks from the metro). We had booked Opera and the Strand Hotel (which is six blocks from the metro), they are both sister hotels with Phoenix. When we arrived at Strand, however, it was full and they sent us to Phoenix. Of the three, Phoenix is the fanciest and has one of the best breakfasts I've had in Europe - but the priciest of the three. Opera is a little in need of refurbishment but otherwise perfectly fine. We stayed three nights on either end of our Baltic Cruise and really enjoyed the area. The TI at the airport sells Copenhagen cards which cover many sights plus train, metro and bus transportation throughout northern Zealand (including to Roskilde, Helsingor, Frederiksborg, and beaches on the northern coast). We travel with one carry-on only (even for a cruise). If you travel light, you can walk from the closest train station to the port; It's walkable but a little bit of a hike. It's one metro stop from Konigs Nytorv to a station where you can catch a train going north. If you have multiple bags, you might want to taxi from your hotel. Regardless, once you drop your bags and eat a bite on the boat, you may want to catch the train back downtown and see some more sights rather than spend the day on the ship.

Posted by
251 posts

We stayed at the Admiral in Nyhavn. It is a former grain warehouse right on the canal across from the Opera house. A stunning hotel with helpful staff.

Posted by
12172 posts

We walked past the Admiral a few times. It looks like a very nice place. It's a little more pricey than we usually stay at but you may catch it during a lull and get a great deal.