Please sign in to post.

Where to stay?

I would like to check out Ireland on a budget for 9 nights in July 2013. I am looking at hostel accomodations in Dublin Central, but I totally confused on which one. I need a single accomodation, central Dublin, near trains, city, buses and would like it to be comfortable, clean and central. I am 58 years old thank you for your time. C

Posted by
713 posts

Colleen, I see that your question has remained unanswered for a day. This probably means that nobody who's visited the forum during that time has any relevant experience to offer you. I'm posting not because I do, but this answer will bump your question back up to the top, where perhaps someone who's been there, done that, will see it today. Also, I highly recommend that you visit the Trip Advisor discussion forum about Dublin. I searched that forum a minute ago and found some recent discussions of hostels in Dublin. Click on this link to get there: http://bit.ly/Y9V8Wj. If you're not a trip advisor member you can join for free and then ask your questions there as well as here.

Posted by
3580 posts

If you title your post "Where to stay in Dublin?" you are likely to get more responses. When I see a very general title such as this, I skip on down the line and don't even read it. I don't have any current information about hostels in Dublin, but stayed at one in 1999 that was centrally located but rather "scuzzy." Look at reviews and you should be able to find what you want.

Posted by
1819 posts

Hi Colleen,
If you want to check out Ireland, you won't be able to do it by spending all 9 nights in Dublin! The beauty of Ireland is in the green countryside, the beautiful lakes, ruined abbeys, and rugged coastline. The best bits are on the west coast: counties Cork and Kerry, then up to Galway and Connemara. Even though it's a small country, you still need to change locations every 2-3 nights to get a good overview.

Posted by
713 posts

You don't say what range your budget covers for lodging. That information - in Euros - would be helpful for those who've recently been to Dublin and might have suggestions. Also, I have heard - via TripAdvisor - that following the economic collapse, some hotels in Dublin are offering rooms at steep discounts.

Posted by
1806 posts

Trinity College rents single dorm rooms in July. Rooms have a sink, but you share a hall bathroom for showers/toilets. Rate includes breakfast daily and there is on site coin op laundry facilities. You cannot be any more central in Dublin than Trinity. Easy access to transit, and a quick walk to just about everything except maybe Kilmainhaim Gaol & Guiness Storehouse. You could search reviews on Hostelworld.com to see what meets your needs in your price range as you don't mention what you are looking to spend per night.