Please sign in to post.

Where to stay...

We are traveling to London and Edinburgh last two weeks in September (few other stops in between) and would like to know best area to look for hotels in both. First visit to both so we will be doing the major tourist stuff. Looks like stayng close to Paddington or Victoria in London would be best but is that necessary? Ditto for Royal Mile area in edinburgh? Plan to use public transport in both. Thanks

Posted by
149 posts

If you are going to London and Edinburgh as well as other stops in a two-week period, it sounds like you are only going to be in London for a few days. I wouldn't choose Paddington for a short first-time visit to London because it's not walking distance to any of the major tourist sites. Victoria is more centrally located, but it is not "necessary" to stay there either--just a matter of personal preference. What is your budget? Do you like small hotels and B&Bs or do you prefer large busy hotels? Is being in a central location your main priority? How many are in your party? If you provide more information, you will probably get more responses.

Posted by
5678 posts

Edinburgh is waaaayyy smaller than London. You can stay on the Royal Mile and be in the heart of things. Or you can stay over in New Town and be in the heart in another part of Edinburgh that's about 5minutes by or ten minutes walking from The Royal Mile. Or you can stay on Dalkeith Road and be 10-15 minutes by bus from the Royal or 20 minutes max walk. Or you can stay further down the hill on the New Town side and be again 10-15 minutes by bus or a 15-20 minutes to Prince's Street. The advantage of staying a little further out is that you are a bit out of the tourist bustle, while still being in the city. I've stayed in all these areas and they all have their advantages and possible disadvantages. No matter what, you will enjoy your visit to Edinburgh. Pam

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I have been to London in May, 2009 and 2010. We are returning there this September. We have been very happy at the Crowne Plaza Kensington. It is in a great area. It is located right across the street from the Glocester tube station. It was very convenient for picking up our day tours with Gray Line Tours also. Elaine

Posted by
9 posts

I have been to London in 2005, 2008 and am going with my husband this September as well. The best advice is to get a Rick Steves guidebook as he has always been spot on with recommendations and valuable advice. We have stayed in and will stay this visit in the Victoria Station area. Great location!