Please sign in to post.

Where to stay

I'm traveling solo to Dublin for 16 days. Wanting to stay in Dublin and take some day trips from there. I hate living out of a suitcase and just wanted to set down in one place. Is this being foolish of me? Also having a difficult time deciding if I want to keep my reservation at the Wynn's hotel. One comment I read was it was not a good area after 7 at night. That is awful early to bed down for the night. Any suggestions as to what a woman on her own should not miss?

Posted by
8647 posts

Good for you for traveling solo. I do it all the time. Love the freedom. Are you renting a car by any chance? If so 2-3 days in Dublin are enough. As far as where to stay that's been asked and answered many, many times on this board. Check the archives as well as the Graffiti Wall for suggestions. Was the negative comment in a review on Tripadvisor? My personal preference in Ireland is to stay in BnB's. Even in Dublin. Good rates and I fine the hosts are wonderful in providing insight into what to see and where to go. Have a great trip.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for your reply, yes the comment was on the trip advisor site. I had not thought about renting a car being that I was traveling solo. Has having a car helped make your travels there more enjoyable? I've heard the cost to rent is very high.

Posted by
8647 posts

Yes renting the car made my solo trek to Ireland much more enjoyable as I could go where I wanted when I wanted. I had budgeted that into my trip cost. Totally aware that not all travelers do that. I wanted to see ALL of Ireland not just Dublin. I also realize driving on the other side of the narrow roads isn't for everyone. I had no problems but I started driving at 14 over what is still known as blood alley, Hwy 17, 27 miles over winding roads through the Santa Cruz mountains in California. OP's can comment on public transportation as far as time, costs and ease to get to places outside of Dublin.