Please sign in to post.

Westminster Abbey

On our second trip to London coming up next year, we would like to go to worship service at Westminster Abbey. Has anyone ever attended service there, and what was is like? I think a Sunday a.m. service followed by a walk in one of the parks sounds marvelous!

Posted by
8669 posts

Evensong at the Abbey is nice. 5pm. Think you'd enjoy it. http://www.westminster-abbey.org/music/choral-services Regular services are noted here:
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/worship/daily-services Anytime you are in the Abbey is an experience like no other. St James Park is close by. Lovely stroll up Birdcage Walk to the Palace, then over to Green Park and if you wish to stroll some more on into and around Hyde Park via Serpentine Rd. Perfect Sunday morning in London Town.

Posted by
251 posts

Thanks, Claudia. Sounds like a lovely day. Wish I was there already!

Posted by
32752 posts

Westminster Abbey tends, on Sundays, to have an 8am said Holy Communion, a 10am Matins, and an 11:15 sung Eucharist as well. Could I interest you in St Paul's Cathedral? Same services, at 8, 10:15 choral Matins and 11:30. Magnificent, probably best in the world, change ringing on St Pauls fantastic bells 30 to 45 minutes prior to the 10:15 and 11:30 services.
The St Pauls Evensong is at 3:15pm most weeks.

Posted by
377 posts

We have attended evensong at both Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's and very much enjoyed both. I'd give a slight edge to Westminster Abbey, and there aren't really any large parks near St. Paul's--though a stroll along the Thames is nice, too. Sunday evensong at Westminster is at 3 p.m.. Evensong services during the week are at 5 p.m.

Posted by
2023 posts

Evening Song at WMA is very impressive. We attended the Saturday one and the music was wonderful. The abbey was completely full and a printed program ( not the correct word maybe?) was handed out. We exited the main aisle and shook hands with the vicar at the main entrance. The service lasted about an hour.

Posted by
719 posts

I've attended Evensong at Westminster, and it was spectacular. I have to say, Claudia has pretty much the perfect day laid out there, so I'd do that. Just reminiscing about those parks makes me want to head back to London!

Posted by
676 posts

Is it ok to wear jeans to Evensong at Westminster? It'll be during the week.

Posted by
8293 posts

Would you wear jeans to the most important church in Landstuhl? If so, then you have your answer.

Posted by
377 posts

Elaine, I can't speak for week-days, but plenty of people were wearing jeans to the Sunday evensong service we attended. Some people had dressed up more, but I think you can pretty much wear whatever you're comfortable wearing to a church service. I'm pretty sure my husband was wearing a pair of black jeans and a button-down shirt.

Posted by
3580 posts

Casual wear has become common in many churches in the USA. Jeans, shorts, etc. If I had to wear a hat and nylons plus a dress to church-well, they would see me even less than they do now. When traveling, I don't usually have clothing that would be suitable for fine-dining or dressy church-going, so wherever I go I'm dressed "casual." I don't travel with jeans, but wear dark-colored pants.