Please sign in to post.

western ireland?

I've been told by some Irish friends that western Ireland is the best place to go on the island. I'm taking a ferry from Scotland to Belfast and planning on seeing Giant's Causeway on my way to Derry. I'm not sure how to arrange that, first off. Is it possible to get a bus there and then after walking around, continue on my way to Derry? Anyway after Derry I was going to go down the western side of Ireland. I'm not sure what places to stop at though. I definitely want to see Connemara and the Cliffs of Moher. Are the Aran Islands worth a stop? I plan on continuing as far as the Dingle peninsula and Killarney, then backtracking to fly out of Shannon. I'll have around two weeks, probably a little more. I can find a city anywhere so what are the smaller feeling, more personal places? From what I've read I don't think I'll be stopping at Galway. So Derry to Dingle....what to do..?

Posted by
2359 posts

Are you driving or public transport as that makes a big difference.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks, definitely public transport. I would rent if I could but i'm still not old enough to :P

Posted by
2359 posts

Wish I could help with public transport but other than Dublin have never used it. There must be plenty of info out there about how to use it. Keep trying and good luck.

Posted by
9 posts

thank you its alright! i just realized that rick has a book on ireland. im sure itll say something in there about it :)

Posted by
2359 posts

Have a cousin who did Ireland, France all on public transit and had no problem, you sound adventuresome so will find a way to get where you want to go. FYI, we loved Dingle and I think there is a great hostel there if you are interested. Enjoy and like Rick says, keep on traveling.

Posted by
484 posts

To get to Derry from Belfast and also some info on tours in the area;www.ulsterbus.co.uk. I "think" there is a regular bus route going from Belfast to Derry that makes a stop at the Giants Causeway. You can check it out. From Derry you can take Bus Eireann to Donegal Town and then various stops down the west side of Ireland. If it is feasible when you are in Derry, try and find a way to get to Glenveigh National Park outside of Letterkenny in Donegal. This part of Ireland,County Antrim and County Donegal is the most ruggedly beautiful part of the whole country and the least overran with tourists.

Posted by
484 posts

To get to Derry from Belfast and also some info on tours in the area;www.ulsterbus.co.uk. I "think" there is a regular bus route going from Belfast to Derry that makes a stop at the Giants Causeway. You can check it out. From Derry you can take Bus Eireann to Donegal Town and then various stops down the west side of Ireland. If it is feasible when you are in Derry, try and find a way to get to Glenveigh National Park outside of Letterkenny in Donegal. This part of Ireland,County Antrim and County Donegal is the most ruggedly beautiful part of the whole country and the least overran with tourists.

Posted by
2359 posts

obviously you are very young as can't rent a car. to let you know we are all behind you on your adventures, good for you.

Posted by
9 posts

I'm 19 :)
Probably younger than most to be travelling for a bit alone but I've been shown the ropes before and feel confident, thanks for the well wishes !

Posted by
182 posts

spent two weeks in ireland last year. only used the train and bus. not as easy as most of europe. but the bus system is very reliable and comfortable. the train system is good, just very limited. i went dublin-powerscourt-kilkenny-kinsale-dingle-galway back to dublin. only dublin to powerscourt and galway to dublin on the train. you can do it. it does take some time and planning but is well worth it. the cliffs are awesome and the islands worthwhile. dingle is crazy. enjoy. have fun, be safe.