Please sign in to post.

Weekend in England

Hello -
I will be visiting Manchester, Brighton, and London for work in October. I have been to each city before, but this time I will have a free weekend and would like to explore another part of England a little bit. I will end my day in Manchester Friday afternoon and will need to be in Brighton Sunday evening (can be there late). I would prefer not to rent a car, but am open to flying or any form of public transport. Any suggestions on places where just a weekend would be a good option? Suggestions on hotels, etc, are also welcome. Thanks.

Posted by
3428 posts

Have you checke out Cardiff Wales? It is a great city for what the Brits call a "short break". Good shopping, the castle is right in town, great resturants..... I don't know if it is feasible by rail between Manchester and Brighton, but we really have enjoyed our visits there.

Posted by
1446 posts

We just returned from a trip to England, Wales and Ireland. We were in Cardiff and loved it. We stayed at the Town House B&B which is in walking distance to the town center. Very nice. Lots to see in Cardiff: waterfront, great art/history museum, St. Fagan's open air museum, good shopping, plus the castle as was mentioned.

Posted by
34 posts

I had considered Bath or York but left them off the initial post in order to see what other suggestions people had. Bath seems to make sense in that it's between Manchester and Brighton so perhaps trains would be fairly simple. I worry, though, about trying to fit everything in as I would love to see the Cotswolds (but again don't plan to have a car), Stonehenge, Avebury, and of course Bath itself! Is it best then to leave it until I'm able to take more time and see the places near Bath?

Posted by
3428 posts

You will never see everthing in any place. So if you really want to, go to Bath and do what you want to- and realize YOU WILL GO BACK (most likely). Bath is a nice place to visit. We've only done day trips, but have been there several times. The river cruise is nice.

Posted by
34 posts

With that thought in mind, what about Edinburgh? I can fly BMI direct there from Manchester, then direct to Heathrow Sunday. I hadn't considered anywhere in Scotland because I want to take a longer trip there, but I could do a taste of Edinburgh...oh, the choices!

Posted by
1387 posts

Cyndi

If you need to be in Brighton on the Sunday evening, and opt for Edinburgh, you would be better to fly back into Gatwick.

It's two hours from Heathrow to Brighton - the easiest option is a coach - and only 40 minutes from Gatwick by train.

Alan

Posted by
34 posts

Thank you for the advice on airports for Brighton! However, there are no direct flights from Edinburgh to Gatwick, and my coworker will be flying into Heathrow that day anyway, as that's her only option. Having to use Heathrow to fly to and from MSP, I know all too well the long journey with multiple tubes, steps, and train between Heathrow and Brighton...

Have now researched train and flight options for Cardiff and Bath: both involve 3-5 hours of travel both ways, so York (train to and from Manchester (1.5 hrs each way), then quick flight to London (Gatwick definitely an option here) or Edinburgh looking more appealing right now!

Posted by
3428 posts

York is a GREAT place for a weekend. We stay at the Royal York Hotel- it is next door to the station (don't even have to go outside- there is a connceting door. It has a lovely small garden and it is only a short walk to the center of the city. The Shambles are great for real or window shopping and York has an excellent market. Just at the edge of the market and the Shambles it our favorite restruant- Gert and Henery's. WONDERFUL food. The Jorvic "museum" is fun. It includes a "disneyesque" ride through the history of York- Romans, Vikings, etc. Very well done. There are LOTS AND LOTS of great jewelery stores in York- big chain and smaller "custom". And don't forget the Minster- beautiful. I think there is a river cruise, too, but haven't done it yet. Edinburgh is nice also- and just the right size for a weekend. Strolling the Royal Mile... Wandering the Princes St. Gardens... shopping... the castle and Holyrood House... Lots to see and do in both places. Personally, I think I would go with York.

Have you checked out the possibilities of flights to/from Inverness? That is an awesome place!

Posted by
2710 posts

I like Cardiff very much, love Bath, and love York, but Edinburgh tops them all IMO. I would probably go where you can get the fastest transportation at the best price.

Posted by
1387 posts

Cyndi

British Airways do a direct Edinburgh to Gatwick flight. In fact my flat mate is on one right this minute :-)

Whenever I have to use Heathrow I use the National Express bus to Brighton. In my experience it's the quickest and least stressful way.

Alan