Please sign in to post.

Weather

We are going to be in England, Ireland, Scotland last part of August through Sept 11, 2010. What type of clothes should we bring for that time of year. Will we need jackets at night?
Thank you for your help. linda.

Posted by
10344 posts

Your best guess at the weather in those countries in August and Sept will come from spending a few minutes on this website

http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

When you get to the site, input specific locations (cities near where you're going to be) and a time span for that location (up to 2 weeks), and it gives you the last 10 or 12 years of actual weather for your time span.

Or, you can use the more random method, which is reading messages here saying something like: "Yep, was in those 3 countries around Sept a couple of years ago and the weather was [insert appropriate adjective] mixed/wet/damp/good."

Posted by
12172 posts

It's a nice time to be there. You could get beautiful weather or days that are a little too warm or a little too cool and wet. Be ready to layer for a low of maybe 50 deg. with wind and rain to a high of sunny and very warm (maybe 85 deg.). That's a wide range and you are likely to get some of each.

I learned the hard way never to get too far from a rain shell. We were in London on a perfect day - sunny, warm and just a hint of breeze. After a morning out we decided to stop at our hotel and drop our rain jackets before visiting the British Museum. Four hours later we got completely soaked trying to get to the tube from the museum.

Here's my visual packing list for men:

http://www.polyvore.com/mens_travel_pack_list/set?id=1440268

Posted by
206 posts

A sweater or fleece plus a rain jacket/shell will go a long way. :-)

Posted by
964 posts

There's a joke here that if you don't like the weather, just wait 20 minutes and something different will be along!
Definitely bring rain shell and a sweater or fleece.

Posted by
206 posts

If you have a hood on your shell, you will not need an umbrella. One less thing to carry/deal with. :-)

Posted by
2775 posts

When we were in England in August we had mostly warm days...a few cool days that we needed a sweater for part of the day. It rained twice during the days for a very short time, it mostly rained during the nights.

Posted by
2876 posts

We were in Northern Ireland & Scotland last August and needed sweaters/fleeces and rain jackets almost every day, and, on a couple of cold nights in Edinburgh, wool caps. Bring your umbrellas too if they compact well into your luggage. Otherwise, they're readily available most anywhere over there. You'll find out why.

Posted by
993 posts

Linda, I usually seem to travel to the UK in September or October. I always pack a sweater with a hood, a vest and a light weight hooded rain coat that covers my bum.

Posted by
5678 posts

Linda, it's all about layers. I go to Scotland often in late August and early September. I take a light-weight fleece, a goretex jacket with a hood. When I'm walking (hiking in American) I take rain pants. Then I usually buy a beautiful wool sweater when I am there. I have an excellent collection now. ; ) As someone said mentioned the weather can change in an instant. You want to go prepared to travel and tour in the damp. There are many days when the weather is soft-- a bit misty--and on those days you the rain or mist will come and got and you don't want to waste time waiting for the sun to shine. When the sun does shine, you glory in it. Pam

Posted by
677 posts

Be prepared for a range of weather conditions - sunny warm days to damp, windy, cool, rainy days. And all of that can happen in just a matter of hours! The wind can be quite blustery and if it is damp, cloudy and cool you will need a jacket and/or raincoat.

Posted by
44 posts

The UK weather forecasts are truly amusing..."cloudy with rain with bright spells and possible sunny periods". Except it is not a joke.