Please sign in to post.

wall outlet plug adaptors in Dublin

Does anyone know what sort of wall outlet plugs they use in Dublin? I've heard it's either the European, or the British kind??

Posted by
780 posts

Dublin, Ireland isnt in the UK or Britain, though...

Wouldnt it be the 2 pinned kind of plug instead? Thats what I was going to bring...

Posted by
495 posts

It's absolutely correct that Dublin isn't in Britain or the UK but they do use the same plug socket as the UK. The three pin kind.

Posted by
780 posts

Ah ok... just wanted to make sure!!! Didnt know if it was a UK Universal thing or what. Thanks. I dont need to bring the other one with me then :)

Posted by
1 posts

I have a question. I will be travel with camera, hearing aids, I-pod and phone, what kind of converter do I need? can I use a strip and plug them all in? Many persons have told me that they lost their electronic because their converter blew, WHAT KIND SHOULD I GET? thanks

Posted by
606 posts

"I will be travel with camera, hearing aids, I-pod and phone, what kind of converter do I need"

First, there are two terms to keep straight. There are "adapters" that just make your American-style plugs fit into European-style sockets, and there "converters" that change the voltage from European 220V to American-style 110V.

Where people get in trouble is using just an adapter with a device that is made to run only on 110V. The adapter lets you plug your 110V appliance into a 220V socket, and it burns things out.

As far as your own appliances, you must read on the appliance or it's transformer. You might need a magnifying glass because the info is generally in very small print.

If the equipment says it accepts only 110-120 volt input, you need both an adapter to fit the socket AND a converter to reduce European voltage to the 110-120 volt range. Many travel stores, as well as places like Radio Shack and even Wal-Mart sell all these things.

If your equipment says it accepts input from 110 (or 120) to 220 (or 240) volts, all you need is the socket adapter because your appliance will automatically handle the voltage conversion. Many electrical devices, like iPods, laptop computers, etc. are in this category and will take either US or European voltage with no need for a converter (you'll still need the plug adapter).

Many voltage converters also have built in plug adapters.

There are two types of voltage converters. Some are made for low-wattage appliances like radios. Others are made for high-wattage appliances like hair dryers and curling irons (things that get hot usually need a high-wattage converter).

Yes, you can use extension chords or power strips, as long as you're delivering 220V to appliances that are made to handle 220V. If you're plugging something into a converter, the converter may only be able to supply power to once appliance at a time.

Simple, isn't it ;-)