Please sign in to post.

Wales in July

My young daughters and I will arrive in Holyhead in early July on a Saturday, hopefully on the 14:30 ferry. Our budget may be ridiculously tight, so can anyone please recommend safe, inexpensive hotels along the north coast of Wales and between Chester and Aberystwyth? We want to zig-zag to Swansea. Around Holyhead we want to see the Stone-age and Roman ruins, then Caernarfon Castle before staying the night near LLandudno or Chester. We will be taking buses, unless there's a good deal on a rail segment. Thank you,
S.C.

Posted by
345 posts

The buses are cheap and easy, but try and plan it online before you go. For ridiculously tight, I think you'll do okay. I found northern Wales quite affordable. I made my base in Bangor, as it had cheap university rooms, and good access to the buses to go to Beaumaris, Conwy, and Caernarfon (and Llanberis). I did though take the train from the ferry at Holyhead to Bangor, then train to Chester, and up to Carlisle. Figure out where you want to be, then search for B&Bs or what have you... again, should be fairly easy to find.

Posted by
38 posts

In Caernarfon I have stayed at Totters hostel. It's around the corner from the castle and is inexpensive. The host and his wife were really nice and informative about the area, I remember there was a tiny little dog that really hated me for some reason. :0 One of my favorite hostels in the UK so far.

Posted by
5 posts

Jumpin Bug and Amara, Thank you for the advice and for replying so quickly. I sent an email to Totters and am going to check out the dorms too. Since we will be making good use of Irish buses, a train through Wales will be a nice switch. The girls want to try as many modes of transportation as possible on this adventure. Totters is said to be a great location for Snowdonia, which I thought we'd have to forego on this trip. Last year we climbed the inside of a crater. Is there anything else we should try to see along the north shore or upper mid-section? Thanks again,
S.C.