Please sign in to post.

Under $100 USD Accommodations near King's Crossing, London

Has anyone found a B&B or room for two near King's Crossing in London for around 50 GBP? (I think that is around $100 USD correct?)We only need it for two nights. We will be in London the end of May, this year. Has anyone stayed at the Falcon Hotel near Paddington Station? Thanks for any info. - Bonnie

Posted by
291 posts

Rick's book is factually incorrect, you cannot book in at Paddington Station for Heathrow flights. This was the case for a brief period a couple of years ago, but even then it was just a few airlines mostly part of the Star Group.
If you're on a budget forget about the expensive Paddington trains. Instead get the Underground from Heathrow to Kings Cross St Pancras. Opposite St Pancras are a lot of B&B's of much better quality than their peers at Paddington. Try Wardonia, Montana Excel, Crestfield, Alhunbra and Meridiana all clean and simple with rooms between 40 and 65 GBP.

Posted by
525 posts

Thank you so much for the info. I just read that due to security you can no longer check in for flights at the Paddington Station. I will look at the B&B's suggested at Kings Cross. That is my problem is that I don't know the areas around London to research. We will only be in London for two days at the end of our 3 week trip. I know that is not long but we enjoy the smaller towns more than larger cities. This trip is for "relaxing" in the countryside. We will train to Bath for several days then possibly rent a car to drive north or..Rick's DVD just showed him taking the train from Bath to York. We could then pick up a rental near York and drive south to do our sightseeing turning in our rental car outside of London and train in for our last two nights. Any suggestions? I love this Traveler's Helpline and all the people that respond. Thank you.

Posted by
291 posts

If you're staying in Bath a few days, check out Mad Max Tours, especially if you take the train from Bath to York as you'll miss the Cotswolds, the quintessential English villages and Countryside.
Mad Max do a day trip that visits Stonehenge, Avebury. Lacock and Castle Coombe which is very good. They use small buses, maximum 16 seats so you get and see the real England and they're very good value.
If you take the car to York, spend a day in the Cotswolds. Get lost in the Bibury, Bourton on the Water, Upper Slaughter's area and you won't regret it. Perhaps stop over at Shakespeare's Stratford Upon Avon.

Posted by
54 posts

you can get online at travelodge.uk.com. put in your dates and look for the super saver rates. you can get a room for 19-49 pounds. there are at least two travelodges within about 0.5 miles of St.Pancras/Kings Cross. one is travelodge called kings cross and the other is a travelodge called kings cross royal scot (or something pretty close to that) - you'll find it. check both of those, you may get a clean room for 29 pounds pretty easily. the only catch is that they are non-refundable so you'd have to be very sure of your plans. the rates are still pretty good for the refundable booking but close to twice the non-refundable rate. Regards

Posted by
359 posts

IMO, with 2 nites in Ldn, Bath is your best bet. A trip to York will eat up too much time. I like the Victoria Stn area for sleeping and wherever you decide to put your head down, the Tube will get you around town in no time. Decide what you want to see in London, surf the web for maps or check Steve's books, book ahead, have fun!

Posted by
359 posts

Sorry Miss B, a bit more- USA $'s to GBP multiply by 2, USA $'s to Euros multiply by 1.5. So, a GBP is 2 US dollars; a Euro is 1 US dollar plus 50 cents +/-.

Posted by
525 posts

What B&B or other accommodations have you stayed at near Victoria Station? I would like to stay around the 50 to 60 GBP range. I realize England is very expensive but I'll keep looking around for a medium priced place. Anyone live in London that would like to rent out a room to a nice older couple?

Posted by
18 posts

We are staying at a travellodge at the end of next month for 3 nights. We paid $180 (US) TOTAL for the three nights. I'm not expecting much in the way of service, but for that price, who cares? We're staying at one of the travellodges mentioned before, kings cross royal scot.
I received an email from travellodge with deals as low as 19 pounds a night for summer dates. Check them out!