Please sign in to post.

trip to England

My daughter has been living in England for almost a year and we are going over to pick her up. she has not been in London itself and we would like to visit there. We would appreciate staying in one place and then traveling around. We will have 3 days in London itself and then take a day trip to Paris and travel outwards of London a couple of days. In total we would want a place for about a week. There will be six of us including her. We have never been to London before and would like a place to stay where the sites are close but in a place where it is not too expensive with kitchen facilities. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Posted by
8667 posts

http://www.vancouverstudios.co.uk/

Have stayed there with and without husband. Room 217 had two beds. Very quiet quiet and had a new shower. NO elevator so if anyone has trouble with stairs make certain you ask for rooms on the ground floor. Two tube lines nearby. Nice walk to Hyde Park. Ethnic neighborhood which meant wonderful, varied and many inexpensive restaurants. Shopping mall and food store just a few blocks away.
Nice staff. All "sites" easily accessible by bus or tube. Always felt safe and (before the $ took a nose dive...a very good rate).

Posted by
5 posts

We always stay at the President Hotel at Russell Square. If you check the British Airways site or the President Hotel site you will find bargains usually with full breakfast. The hotel is not fancy but clean and great location.

Posted by
10344 posts

So far no one is suggesting any with kitchen facilities. Sounds like you are looking for an apartment or flat to rent. But only a 3 day rental may be a problem. Expect London accomodation costs to be very high. An apartment, though expensive, will probably be lower than the cost of 2 or 3 hotel rooms plus will reduce the cost of food for 6 people outing out--in London the cost of 2 or 3 hotel rooms when added to the cost of feeding 6 people per day in restaurants would be a very high daily cost.

Posted by
43 posts

Although it doesn't have kitchen facilities, Cherry Court Hotel on Hugh Street is unbelievably inexpensive and about a block from Victoria Station, an absolutely perfect location. There are grocery stores nearby which are open until 11 pm or so, such as Sainsbury or TESCO, so purchasing your food (sandwiches, fruit, CADBURY BARS) would be convenient and a pretty cheap way to go. The owners/operators of Cherry Court are very hospitable. Check it out: http://www.cherrycourthotel.co.uk/Hotel_Facilities.html

Posted by
158 posts

We are going to London in May and staying at a place called base2stay .....it has a fridge and microwave...not cheap 9($250) but in a quiet neighborhood near Earl's Court Tube.....

I have stayed in London before in near Paddington Station and it was sooo noisy and dreary...that it was not much fun.....

Tripadvisor gives lots of helpful feedback and traveler photos of hotels...

Good luck!

Posted by
4 posts

I stayed 6 nights at the Arran Hotel in London, in Bloomsbury. They include a breakfast buffet in the room prices, but they also allow the guests to use the kitchen until 10:00 at night. I booked late, so I couldn't get an ensuite room. A single room there is rather small (they have a variety of sizes of rooms), but the place is clean, well-maintained, makes a great all-you-can-eat breakfast, has a friendly staff, is convenient to multiple bus lines and the Northern line of the tube, 5 minute walk to British Museum, 5 minute bus ride to Trafalgar, easy access from Heathrow. It's very popular with repeat visitors and they said they're booking up for the summer. If you book there, see if they can give you a room in the back side of the hotel, as the front facing Gower street can have a bit of traffic noise (same goes for hundreds of lodgings in London, I suppose).
Web site: http://www.arranhotel-london.com/about_us.htm

Posted by
93 posts

Janet, we stayed in Vancouver Studios 2 yrs. ago. They have a mini-fridge, microwave, stove top plus pots and pans, all the untensils, etc. Like the previous poster said, great, safe location in a diverse neighborhood. Quiet at night, helpful staff. Some rooms have balconies too. Hope this helps.