Please sign in to post.

Travelling in N.Ireland in June 2012

Hi, this is a long email and i need 4 answers to my questions. i have done some research online but the more i read, the more confused i become. my travelling is quite unique as this is a farm stay organised by the school but only accommodation is provided, in a somewhat remote part of ?northern ireland. Tks in advance for all your help. btw, i love this web. i am flying to Belfast City (BHD) 27/6 and will reach at 10am. will be travelling very light cos its only 4 days of travel. I will be staying in the city for 1 night and plan to go to gaint causeway due to the legend. however, i realised that day tour typically starts earlier before i can reach the city. would it be feasible to use the public transport to gaint causeway? otherwise, what would be recommended for a 1 day travel if i am not keen on shopping/visiting the usual museum and catherdals since i just came back from spain/holland. i will also appreciate suggestions on cheap stays that is centrally located for a night (would that translate to staying in belfast city centre?). i tried researching online but can't get around where is centre for me, as this is related to my 2nd day of travelling (pls see below). i will be travelling to Drumbad in a town called Lisnaskea (Postcode: BT92 0NB) the next day. I understand that the nearest coach station is Enniskillen but my host has suggested for me to use the Ulster bus. what would be the closest bus station i should broad from the belfast city (so this would depend on the recommendation of my 1st night in belfast?) and to alight at Lisnaskea since there are a few option to choose from. Lastly, my return flight is on sat (30/6) at 10am at BHD. what is the most convenient and cheapest way for me to get to the airport on time from Lisnaskea.

Posted by
7044 posts

Jessica, I can't address your transportation questions, but with only a half-day to spend in Belfast, I wouldn't try to go to Giant's Causeway. I found it fascinating and the area is gorgeous but with that short of time, I would try to find a half-day (or maybe only a couple of hours) tour of Belfast. It was very interesting to see the city's historic places and hear the guide's stories about the "troubles". I personally found that tour very enriching.

Posted by
119 posts

Hi Jessica - I only visited Giant's Causeway via a day trip, so I can't speak to how to get there using public transport. I do know there is a bus that will take you there, and it really is a lovely and fascinating place to visit but not sure if you would rather spend the time in Belfast itself. Belfast is a vibrant, fun city and there are numerous walking tours and cab tour you can take if you are interested in learning more about its history. I've been twice and still haven't done everything I want to! For a place to stay in Belfast that is cheap, I'd recommend the Belfast International Youth Hostel. It is a 10 minute walk from the Europa Bus Station, where I imagine would be the most likely pick up point for the bus you need to take. Check out translink.co.uk for the full timetable of the bus routes.

Posted by
8725 posts

Couple of things. Are you saying transportation to and from this farm stay isn't provided? NOT smart of the school to have done that. After arriving in Belfast i'd check in to your accommodation. The hostel suggestion sounded good, or you can search for a room on the airbnb website. If you go with something on that website make absolutely certain you are close to public transport. YOu can search by cost and via email you contact the owner directly. Can't answer the last question. Would be nice if the farm owners could advise you on how to get back to the airport early on a Saturday morning as it seems like a bus is your only option since you aren't driving.