Please sign in to post.

Traveling in Great Britain

Is it true that you cannot rent a car in Great Britain after the age of 70?

Posted by
5678 posts

I'm not sure if it's 70 or 75, but I ran into this issue when traveling with my dad. Our original plan had been to take turns driving. But the first company we rented from was a small one on Orkney. The clerk looked at Dad's license and said that she couldn't rent it. THey hadn't checked on age at the time of rental, "You didn't sound over 70!" ; ) Needless to say, I did all the driving. I have heard that there are some companies that will rent a car to people over 70, but you'll need to ask. This might be a time to consult a travel agent. Pam

Posted by
5678 posts

Nigel, would you explain your "no"? Has something changed since 2004? I can tell you that the company categorically refused to rent my dad a car when they found out his age. If I hadn't been along they would have incurred additional expense for a driver or drastically reduced vacation because they couldn't get to places. This topic has come at other times on this forum and others have had similar experience. I'm not saying that they are legally barred from renting, but that there are companies, probably smaller companies in the islands like we ran into in Orkney, where the companies choose not to rent to drivers over a certain age. I assume that is has something to do with their business insurance. Pam

Posted by
10344 posts

Maximum age limit for rental cars in Europe varies with the company. Best to inquire in advance, to avoid disappointment/hassles at the rental counter.

Posted by
2876 posts

The following is a direct quote from National Car Rental UK's website: "There is no upper age limit except at Pembroke, Carmarthen, Plymouth, Exeter, Newquay and Taunton where the max age limit is 75 years." National claims to be the largest car rental company in the U.K.

Posted by
1820 posts

Same question about the Republic of Ireland...Are there upper age limits for renting there? I have heard you can't rent a car there after your 70th birthday. I hope it isn't true....

Posted by
9363 posts

Cynthia, you really need to ask the company you intend to rent from for their policy. There is no law or uniform statute for maximum age for car rental.

Posted by
32919 posts

Pamela, My "no" is based on the fact that my father, aged 81 at the time, had a little difficulty renting a car here but was able to quite easily get one in the Cotswolds, and sightly off topic, was also able to easily get one in Naples. Sadly he will no longer rent cars as he died the next year. Getting insurance on his personal car was a little difficult after 80.

Posted by
6 posts

Oddly I agree with both Pam and Nigel. My stepfather is originally from Orkney and he too had problems renting a car there over the age of 75. He visited me when I lived in Oxford and had no problem. May, as Pam suggested, have something to do with smaller firms in more out-of-the-way places. Check before you book is the obvious answer and shop around.