Please sign in to post.

Traveling during the first week of June 2012 and the Jubilee

We are trying to finalize the last 5-6 days of a 17 day train/car trip to Scotland, England and Wales 5/21-6/8. We are trying to make arrangements in mid-western and southern England around the jubilee for May 29-June 6. We will be making our way east from Wales toward Cotswold and Bath and the surrounding areas. We will be flying out of Heathrow on the 8th of June. My question is how to best plan around the Jubilee crowds and the holiday. Would their be more celebration and crowds in Bath or in the Cotswold or will it matter? We like a celebration but want to be prepared. We come from Savannah GA where St Patricks day is crazy with 800,000 party-goers and you avoid downtown at all costs if you are trying to see historic sights. What should we expect as we get closer to London? would love some advise
TW

Posted by
8658 posts

This is a HUGE celebration for the UK. Check these websites to garner what will be happening where and when. I've been in London for their Memorial day (Remembrance Day) and was surprised by the crowds. Great pride in their veterans. However, I think the Jubilee celebrations outside London will be more subdued. Maybe our British Helpline posters can clarify. http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/TheQueenandspecialanniversaries/TheQueensDiamondJubilee2012/TheQueensDiamondJubilee2012.aspx
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/Features/DG_WP200687

Posted by
10 posts

These things tend to be pretty much focused on central London. There may be small events in Bath and Cotswold villages, but nothing that you'd need to avoid. There'll probably just be bunting hanging up in the streets, perhaps some small street parties and a bit of a festival atmosphere, but no large crowds.

Posted by
3 posts

thanks for help. my wifes birthday is 6/1/2012 looking for someplace special maybe penzance??? i appreciate any help any one can give me. thanks tom

Posted by
1986 posts

If i were going toward london from the west i would look at some of the old coaching inns for a special occassion- not that the food will be that exceptional- but the experience of staying and eatng in a place with a centuries old history seems special to me. Coming from Wales consider Luttrell Arms in Dunster in Somerst;
Lygon Arms in Broadway (Cotswolds) or The Bear in Woodstock. Some of these have 4 poster beds and the villages are great for walking

Posted by
8658 posts

Maybe an overnight somewhere like Henely on the Thames OR partake in a bit of the Jubilee celebration and see whats happening at Blenheim Palace OR an overnight and dinner for her birthday at the Ettington Park Hotel OR have you considered a boat hire? Trip sounds wonderful. Do hope you get to see London at the front end of the visit. Fabulous city.