Please sign in to post.

Traveling around the west Coast of Ireland

Has anyone taken the Killimer Tarbert ferry from Tralee to the Cliffs of Mohrer. I hear that you can take your car. How long does it take from Tralee to the Cliffs.

Posted by
635 posts

Hopefully, everyone that's taken the ferry won't respond. It's a popular route between Galway and Dingle. You definitely can take your car. From my recollection the ride itself is about 20 minutes. I'm sure you could look it up on line and get a more accurate schedule. It will save you time and miles going that way.

Posted by
126 posts

Last year we drove from Dingle to the Cliffs in just under 4 hours, that included crossing the Shannon on the Tarbert ferry, which takes 20 minutes. (Add additional time for getting on/off ferry. We checked ferry schedules beforehand, which differ for Summer/Winter. http://www.shannonferries.com. We were there the first days of October; there wasn't much traffic and weather was excellent, with few occasional rain showers. I believe it took us about 2.5 hrs from Tralee to the Cliffs. Since everyone drives differently, I think the most accurate tool to determine distances is using a route planner; there should be several available on the internet. We used the interactive Ireland AA route planner to plan our 2-week driving tour of Ireland. We found it to be very accurate. On someone's recommendation on this site, we added 25% driving time to the AA estimates as a matter of course. Some times we were under the estimated time, sometimes a little over. The route planner gives you get the detailed written directions, plus your route is highlighted on the map. http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/. The route planner is simple to use. There are "from" and "to" blank spaces to enter your departure location and destination. If you enter "Tralee" to "Cliffs of Moher" the planner will want to take you around the Shannon. Since you want to take the ferry (which I recommend doing), click on the yellow button "via?" and add the "Tarbert." The planner will then show you exactly how to get from Dingle to the Cliffs going through across the Shannon via ferry. Cheers,
G.