Please sign in to post.

Travel in Scotland

I have planned time in Iona and Edinburgh this fall. I will NOT have a car and would like to do some hiking/sight seeing in one more area for three days. Any suggestions?

Posted by
5678 posts

The easiest thing to do would be to take the train to Dunkeld and do some of the walks (hikes) in that area. The TI has a nice booklet describing them and they vary in rigor from a stroll to somewhat intense. This could be a day trip from Edinburgh. You know that you'll be taking the train to Oban and then either taking a tour bus if you are doing a day trip or taking the ferry to Mull and then taking the bus to Fionnphort where you catch another ferry to Iona, right? Iona is not a big Island and I suspect that you can walk all over it. Check out this web page for walks near by on Mull. http://www.iona-bed-breakfast-mull.com/walks_mull_iona/. I quite liked both Mull and Iona. I was there on 9/11 and the contrast with the events in th US and the peace of the Abbey were striking. Pam

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you! I will look into Dunkeld. I plan to be on Iona for three days. This is over the border, but the area east of Carlisle along Hadrian's Wall looks like it might be very interesting as well.

Posted by
5678 posts

Yes, it's very nice along the wall. Also, you might look into the Trossachs. You just can't get there by train. It must be Bus. I took the steamboat ride on Loch Katrine out and back. You can also rent a bike and take the boat out and bike back. Pam

Posted by
484 posts

I don't know if this is what you are looking for. If staying on Iona or Oban - take the one day boat trip to Staffa (Fingal's Cave) and Treshnish Isles. Nice for hiking. There is a Puffin colony on Lunga until August. These are little Islands that you can picnic and hike around on. I personally enjoyed them. However, do not expect trees here. No forests. Just beautiful rocky coastlines. Mull may have some beautiful trails too. Check-out Morven area. I hope you have sunshine for your hikes! Many nice places to hike in Scotland.