Please sign in to post.

Travel in Ireland

My husband and I have never been to Ireland. We'd like to visit Northern Ireland and Kilkenny. We prefer to stay in hotels or accommodations within walking distance of restaurants and pubs. We have 8 or 9 days, including flying. We will probably have to rent a car. Does anyone have some ideas for an itinerary with those two locations in mind? I'd like to be able to spend at least 2 or 3 nights in one place. I have some mobility problems and get tired easily so I can't do any hiking or go for walks longer than 1 mile. Thank you.

Posted by
147 posts

Kilkenny is one of our favorite spots. Nice Irish town, has a castle, old church, great shopping and nice pubs and eateries. Centrally located between Killarney and Dublin, easy access to Cashel, although you'd have to take your time walking up the hill. About 2.5 hours from Kinsale too.

Posted by
1806 posts

Not knowing what your interests are, for Northern Ireland you could either stay in one of the larger cities (Derry or Belfast) and you're definitely within walking distance of many restaurants and pubs from your hotel or B&B. You can easily take a city bus tour or black taxi tour to avoid walking a lot.

If you want to see Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle, Antrim Coast - you can rent a car and see them on your own, or if you are going in the summer, there is a free tourist shuttle that links the major sights. From the major cities, you can take a quick and cheap commuter rail to a number of towns that are near the coast (i.e., Portrush) - these towns have plenty of dining and pubs and many B&B/guesthouse options that are close by.

Posted by
484 posts

Northern Ireland and Donegal are two parts of Ireland that are often overlooked by most American tourists which is actually great for those of us who know what great and scenic places they are.