Please sign in to post.

Travel in Ireland

I've been using the Rail Europe to plan out my trip to Europe. but am having problems with Ireland. The rail website seems to suggest that there are too many connections to give me schedules. I have been reading that it is best to travel by car. If I'm planning on traveling to/from Dublin, is this really necessary? Thanks!
ashley

Posted by
9363 posts

The rail system in Ireland is not as extensive as in other parts of Europe, but Rail Europe is not the best place to get information about Irish rail travel, either. Try www.irishrail.ie instead. I am one who thinks it is best to rent a car there, but there is also extensive bus service everywhere. With no information given on the length of your trip or what you want to see in Ireland, it's hard to advise what would be your best option.

Posted by
9 posts

Lots of large and small group tour companies - highly recommend a small group like Wolfhound Adventure Tours (completely awesome!) - also bus connections are amazing in Ireland. I'm going back for my 3rd time in Sept. and will not rent a car but rely on bus and train. Plenty of day trip options out of Dublin - check out Over the Top Tours.
Also, you can take the gobus between Galway and Dublin and it only takes 2.5 hrs (gobus.ie) - and there are day tours also out of Galway (Cliffs of Moher, Connemara). Have fun and enjoy!

Posted by
635 posts

Trains in Ireland typically only go from Dublin to the larger cities. Trying to get from one larger city to another frequently requires you to go back to Dublin. Most of the better tourist spots are not accessible by train without taking a bus. Get a car unless you're really committed to not driving in Ireland. Plan on lots of time sitting in a train and/or bus. Before I did something like this, I'd take one of the commercial tours that are available. RS has a two week tour. Other companies will do it in a week.

Posted by
3 posts

I see - thanks for the replies. I'll actually only be spending about 5 days in Ireland, so I'm thinking my best bet would be to just do day trips from Dublin via bus or rail. This will be my first solo trip, and I don't think I'm brave enough to test out my international driving skills just yet. Thanks!