Please sign in to post.

travel in ireland

Hi, two travelers will be in Ireland within the next two weeks with no car. Staying 1st two nights (a tuesday and wednesday) in Dublin. Looking for suggestions for the next three nights (leaving sunday from Shannon) for best sightseeing and being dependent on the trains. Many thanks! also any recommendations for Shannon stay - early flight next morning.

Posted by
9363 posts

I would guess that most of us here on the helpline use rental cars to get around Ireland (train service is fairly limited compared to other parts of Europe, and buses don't go everywhere) and might not be very well-versed in getting around by train. Can you give us some idea of what you might like to do or see? What are your interests? For your last night you will need to stay where they have a shuttle to the airport. There are a number of B&Bs on the Bunratty road, behind Bunratty Castle, six miles from the airport. There is also a hotel at the little shopping center across the road from the castle.

Posted by
94 posts

I also did the rental car route, but in planning my trip I did research other options one of which was Paddy Wagona backpacker sort of tour bus option. See http://www.paddywagontours.com/tours.php. I also remember that the railways offered some rail/bus combinations. Another suggestion is to take the train to Galway from where you can get several one-day bus tours and it's not too far to Shannon from there.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you want to see the west coast, here's a possible intinerary using the Galway Tour Company which I found doing a Google search. (Note: I rented a car in Ireland and haven't taken any tours.) Thursday: Take the tour company shuttle bus from Dublin to Galway and take either the Connemara full-day tour or the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren full-day tour. Friday: Take whichever tour you didn't take on Thursday. Saturday: Spend the day in Galway and take a Bus Eireann bus directly from Galway to Bunratty (just over two hours). Spend the night in Bunratty. Or take a Bus Eireann bus from Galway to Ennis, spend some time there, and then take a Bus Eireann bus to Bunratty. Sunday: Take a shuttle (if your B&B or hotel provides one), a taxi, or a Bus Eireann bus from Bunratty to Shannon. The first bus leaves Bunratty at 05:25 and arrives at Shannon at 05:45.