Please sign in to post.

Travel From London To York

We will be staying in London in June for seven nights. We have been there three times before and love it. We thought we would take a day trip to York, going on the early - 2 hours train from Kings Cross. The alternative would be to spend the night in York. If we spend the night, we would have to check out of our base hotel in London, get a taxi to the train station, and have to take our luggage on the train, get a taxi and a hotel in York ? Does anybody think it is just fine to see York in just a day trip? Thank you. Rick seems to suggest you arrive at night, which seems ike a real waste of a day.

Posted by
340 posts

IMO, you'll be short changing yourself AND York by only giving it part of a day. Last fall my huband and I arrived in York on a Wednesday afternoon, spent 2 nights, then left for Edinburgh Friday morning, and we both felt like another day there would have been perfect.

Posted by
3428 posts

We have often visited York as a day trip. We usually arrive around 10ish. We enjoy the market, The Shambles and just wandering around. We usually headed back just after supper (we love to eat at Gert and Henery's. It is in a half-timber house near the edge of the Shambles and the market and has GREAT food).

Posted by
1986 posts

York definitely deserves at least a full day and night- especially if you have never visited it before. You could undoubtedly leave the bulk of your luggage at your London hotel (I assum you would rteturn there) while you take a short excursion to York. Give it the time it deserves, you will not regret it. especially if you stay in (or extremely close to) the walls.

Posted by
345 posts

I stopped in York for a lovely day heading from Edinburgh to London. I arrived in London around 6pm, after leaving Edinburgh at 7am. I enjoyed my time, and while more is always nice, I felt it was a good stop.

Posted by
119 posts

You could see York in a day, but I think it would leave you wanting more! Last August I planned on 2 days in York, and then a one day day trip to Whitby...well even after two days I felt I hadn't been long enough nor seen all I wanted to in York, so I skipped the day trip and spent one more day in York. And I still didn't do everything I wanted! It really is a lovely city. Perhaps a day trip this time would be enough, and if you enjoy it, then next time plan a few days there.