Please sign in to post.

Train travel london to edinburgh

We are traveling from London to Edinburgh in December and would like to make a stop in the Cotswolds for one night. Is that possible on the train or should we rent a car? We will be flying to Dublin from Edinburgh so would have to drop a car there. Haven't been before and only have a quick week to go from London to Dublin! Any suggestions will be much appreciated...thanks

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for your reply! We have been told that the Cotswolds were a must see. We will train from London to Madeston on Marsh, spend the night, then train to Edinburgh. Any recommendations on hotel in Dublin City Centre, easy transfer to/from airport, walking distance to sites? We are there two nights but have an early morning flt to the states. Don't really want to stay at the airport both nights, or have to change hotels. Suggestions...and thanks ahead of time.

Posted by
8700 posts

There are direct trains from London Paddington to Moreton-in-Marsh. For some departure times you will need to connect in either Didcot Parkway or Oxford. You have two choices for routes from Moreton-in-Marsh to Edinburgh. 1. Stay on the west side and connect in Worchester Shrub Hill and Birmingham New Street. 2. Return to London, take the Tube from Paddington to King's Cross, and travel up the east side to Edinburgh. Both routes take nearly the same amount of time. See the timetables on the East Coast site.

Posted by
32709 posts

I love the Cotswolds - grew up there and return when I can - but are you aware of how short the days are in December, the low light, and the weather? The fabulous beauty of the villages is made so gorgeous by the sunlight on the honey-yellow stone of the old buildings, the flower beds everywhere, the thatched roofs, the slate roofs... The countryside with the small rivers, the fords, the walks through the fields, are best in the relative dry. Is it the only time you will ever be able to see the Cotswolds? I'm not sure I would pick December for a visit there if I had a choice. I like Yorkshire stone even in the winter - the dark stone walls look good even in the rain.

Posted by
1986 posts

If you go to the Cotswolds, in my opinion, Moreton is one of the less scenic spots- but one of the very few with train connections. Train to Moreton, rent a car and see some of the more scenic villages- Bourton, broadway, burford bibury, and many more. The suggestion of the Yorkshire moors is also excellent- again, it is much easier if you rent a car in York and spend a full day travelling the moors, and another day seeing york itself. Coming from Los Angees, the Winter days in England can seem amazingly short- gets light fairly late, and gets dark quite early

Posted by
5 posts

thanks so much to everyone for your posts...a wonderful help!