Please sign in to post.

Train Travel in Ireland

I will be traveling to Ireland in June and will not be renting a car. I looked at the train schedule and it looks like I can get from Galway to Killarney by train but I have read on forums that I have to go back to Dublin in order to get to Killarney. Can someone help me with this?

Posted by
521 posts

How about this? Galway - Limerick Junction
Limerick Junction - Mallow Mallow - Killarney Three changes, and 4 hours 28 minutes. Looking at the map in my Thomas Cook rail timetable, I think the problem is that the branch line from Athenry, down through Ennis and Limerick to Limerick Junction is fairly quiet, with relatively few trains. The main line goes from Galway to Athlone, Portarlington and then to Dublin, so there is no need to go all the way back to Dublin (change at Portarlington), but it's still 3 changes and takes even longer than the route via Limerick. The journey planner on irishrail.ie will show you all the options, timings and changes.

Posted by
8700 posts

Going by bus would be cheaper, faster (3hr40min), and involve only one connection at Limerick. See buseireann.ie.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the help! Next question... Is there a need to purchase
bus/train tickets in advanced?

Posted by
8700 posts

There is open seating on buses so there is no advantage to booking tickets in advance.

Posted by
7 posts

We found that booking online the day before was cheaper. Also booking online, you are guaranteed a place on the bus.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for your help! Looks like I maybe taking the bus.

Posted by
8700 posts

Rea, Thankks for correcting me about booking bus tickets in advance.

Posted by
29 posts

Karen, You can find everything you need to know about Iarnrod Eireann - Irish Rail - by visiting its website: http://www.irishrail.ie/ And you don't have to go to Dublin Galway to get to Killarney from Galway if you take the commuter train, about a 4-5 hour trip. Other schedules do route you through Dublin, however, for a 6 hour journey.