Please sign in to post.

train travel in Ireland

We purchased first class tickets for two train trips in Ireland and thought we were reserving particular times and dates, with seats to be assigned on the tickets. We received (from Eurrail.com) OPEN tickets with just a 2-month usage period and no particular trains or dates or times, or seats. We are not comfortable with having to scramble for a seat when we have paid for first class reserved seats - anyone else have this problem? Will it be difficult to find 2 seats next to each other in the first class section on week day trains? thanks for the help!

Posted by
484 posts

In my somewhat limited experience with Irish Rail the only time the trains are really crowded are on Friday afternoon and evening,especially on trains leaving Dublin, and on Sunday afternoons with trains going back to Dublin. I am assuming the same would apply to Cork but do not know.

You might try e-mailing www.irishrail.ie with your questions. I have found they will get back to you but it may take a few days.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, Pat. We are traveling - both times - on a Monday, so hopefully the trains will not be too crowded. We are taking a train from Dublin to Cork on a Monday morning and from Limerick to Dublin early in the afternoon on a Monday. Appreciate the thoughts. Janet

Posted by
1358 posts

If you dont resolve your question by your departure date, go to the RR ticket office in Ireland, show your confirmation notice and ask for confirmation for what you purchased.

If the agent you bought tickets from has a toll free phone number, call and ask. If you paid extra for reserved seats you should have them.

Posted by
3 posts

To correct what I stated earlier, we bought these two sets of point to point tickets from Raileurope.com, NOT from eurrail.com, which only sells passes. Janet