Please sign in to post.

Touring Irish Republic in a motorhome for 3 weeks June 2007

Has anyone travelled round the Irish Republic in a motorhome? If so, are there good camping grounds or caravan parks? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Posted by
12 posts

We toured Ireland two years ago and considered using a motorhome. In the end we decided to travel by car and stay at B&B's. We were so glad we did! We preferred to travel on interesting back roads rather than main highways and they tend to be rather narrow and bumpy with very few places to pull over and park. This can be true for many roads in the UK and Ireland. Sometimes the lanes were so narrow we had to back up if we met another car. Often these roads led to an interesting ancient fort or castle and we would have hated to miss out on seeing these because our vehicle was too large. Parking is difficult and a small car is a definite advantage. We noticed very few campsites on our travels and honestly, the Irish B&B experience is not to be missed - those breakfasts!! And besides, you get to stay in Irish people's houses and without exception, they respect your privacy yet do all they can to help you. I recommend you travel by car, not motorhome.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for that - it is good to get a Kiwi reply. Motorhomes are so taken for granted here in NZ we just assume it will be a breeze over there. My husband is currently in the UK getting the hang of the Motorhome along the south coast of England. I am about to join him to go over to Ireland at beginning of June. It sounds like a rental car might be best - hope we can get one at this stage because we haven't booked.