Please sign in to post.

Toll Roads

Hi Fellow Travelers - we are heading to Ireland the end of May. woo hoo! we arrive in Dublin and head to Saggart to our hotel that day. I understand we run into tolls-how do we handle this? Can you pay on the spot? we appreciate any help. thanks!! lynne

Posted by
9110 posts

Pay later in the day or the next day by eight in the evening. The M50 toll is three euro. It only doubles after the period above for the following day, but then jumps like crazy. Look for a logo on a convenience store, gas station, news stand, grocery store, etc, that looks like what's in the top left corner of this: http://www.payzone.ie/ Tell them your tag number and fork over the dough - - that's it.

Posted by
10 posts

Okay so once we get to our destination, we go into one most places and pay. is that accurate? thank you!!!!!

Posted by
9110 posts

That's it. The system already knows your tag number from the cameras. If you think / are sure you'll use the toll road again (maybe on the way back), you can also advance-pay and save having to find the next place to pay. I can't remember one at the airport, but I bet a newstand would be able to cover it - - the problem being, of course, if you'd counted on it and . . . . .

Posted by
337 posts

Ask the rental car agent. He will explain everything and make it very easy. Don't sweat it, and have fun!

Posted by
10 posts

Are there signs indicating the tolls so we know it is a toll highway? Thanks!

Posted by
237 posts

With the exception of the already mentioned M50 toll the toll road are obvious and work like anywhere else pull up to the booth and pay. Your rental car agency will have this worked out for any automatic tolls so ask - Hertz charged my card the toll as a separate charge. Only the large freeways are tolled. We drove from Dublin to Dingle and didn't hit a single toll until we took the large highway back from Cashel towards Dublin to fly out. Also there's a toll tunnel from the airport into Dublin but if you don't drive into the city (and you shouldn't) that doesn't matter. There are maps here if you really care: http://www.nra.ie/GeneralTollingInformation/TollRoadMaps/ Bottom line is check with car rental place about the M50 but other than that just carry some money and change if you're on the big freeways. Have a great trip!
=Tod