Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Ireland?

I'm going to Ireland soon, and I'm a bit confused about appropriate tipping practices. It's my understanding that gratuities are not included in food and beverage prices as they are in many other European countries, but I've also heard that some consider the offering of a tip rather insulting.

Posted by
2799 posts

In restaurants a tip might be added to the bill..so check to see if on your bill is says "service charge" if it does then a tipp has been added. If no tipp as been add then leave a 10% tipp. No tipping in pubs. Taxi's you usually give a 5-10% tipp, if you want to, I know a lot of people do not tipp taxi drivers.

Posted by
80 posts

Tipping in a restaurant..10% of bill. Never gave a monetary tip to bar staff, but have at times, offered a drink (as in 'have one yourself'). Pay scale is different in Ireland for bar/restaurant work..minimum wage or better. Our minimum wage is €8.75/hr. Enjoy your visit!

Posted by
1358 posts

Our Let's Go book actually said "Do NOT tip your bartender!" But the suggestion of buying one for the bartender is a good one.