Please sign in to post.

Tipping in Ireland

I was under the impression that tipping in Europe was generally not done. However I just got back from Ireland, and I'm starting to wonder if that impression was wrong or out of date. We dined in restaurants and usually paid with a credit card. At least twice I was asked if I wanted to add a tip. Some other times, I was quoted the amount and asked if that was okay, with a pause that made me think I was being given the opportunity to volunteer that I wanted to add a tip. Is this new?

Posted by
101 posts

I wonder the same things sometimes. We just came back from Ireland and we were asked if we wanted to leave a tip or at the Ashford Castle a 15% tip was included in your drinks/meals. We left tips at some restaurants and they were accepted (I know, who wouldnt accept money) so I almost wonder if the wait staff comes to expect tips from tourists? Just a thought...

Posted by
20 posts

We just returned from 10 days in Ireland and did not run into any problems with tipping.

We tipped a time or two for great service and meal but it was not much. We just rounded up a Euro or two. Other times we did not tip and there was no fuss or expectaion for us to tip. We try as hard as we can to eat where the locals do. We watch what they do when they pay and just copy that.
I can not say about credit cards in restaurants we usually just pay cash as we go. Anymore ATM are everywhere and they save you a pile on credit card fees.
We did not stay in any hotels so not sure about tips being added there. We did see on an occasion or two someone tip the bartender/wait staff in a pub. I watched one waitress take the money back across the room to the person thinking they forgot it.
Hope the trip was great anyways! What a great place to explore.

Posted by
6898 posts

My wife and I are in England now. We have been eating out for the past 8 days. We have not seen any menu with tipping advice nor has it appeared on any of our bill receipts. The VAT tax is shown but not service. We have been tipping about 10%-15% however.