Please sign in to post.

Tipping in England

What is customary regarding tipping servers in restaurants? RS says tips are not expected. My British friend says 15% is customary for good table service. Who is correct?

Posted by
9110 posts

Probably both are.

Look at both the menu and at the bill; if either one says a service charge is included, don't tip. Otherwise tip. Different places do it different ways.

Even in the first case, if the person has been especially attentive or helpful (or I've made a nuisance of myself), I don't hesitate to leave a little extra.

The same is true on the continent.

One thing I have noticed, and don't understand why, is that nobody seems to tip in pubs.

Posted by
80 posts

you can always tell the bar person to 'have one yourself'...round about way of tipping in a pub.

Posted by
495 posts

TBH, UK knowledge is not Rick Steves' strong suite. 10-15% is usual in a restaurant, like Ed says check that they aren't already charging you service (common in London tourist areas.) The confusion might be because unlike the US tipping is usual but not 'compulsory' - tipping here doesn't have anywhere near the status and class baggage it has in the US.

It is not customary to tip in pubs at all. As Debe says there is sometimes the custom of buying the barman a drink but don't think it is a direct equivalent for US-style bar tipping i.e. don't say "one for your self" every round. Generally you'd only offer if you'd had some extra service from the bar staff, had spent all night talking to them or you're a 'regular' etc. It would be simpler for most tourists just to not think about tipping bar staff as it would be very unlikely to be in a situation where it would be normal.

Posted by
80 posts

True Peter, not really the same as USA tipping and probably not the best comparison to make. I tend to only offer once, after the second round.

Posted by
495 posts

I wasn't trying to contradict Debe there, I was just clarifying because I've seen similar postings being misunderstood before by Americans who are really used to tipping all the time.

BTW I think there may be some slight differences in practice in Ireland also - buying the barman a drink every trip to the pub would be unusual in England (unless you were a regular or such.) I think it's much easier for tourists to forget about tipping in pubs as it's never 'expected.'

(Obviously they're welcome to tip as much and often as they want as long as they know they don't have to - it's not expected or customary in pubs.)

Posted by
4684 posts

As people have said 10-15% is expected nowadays anywhere that there is waiter service, unless there is already a service charge on the bill. It's not like in the US where I gather some places don't pay their waitstaff at all apart from tips, but waitstaff here aren't exactly well-paid.

However you certainly don't tip in a pub or bar - possibly you might in a really high-class fashion cocktail bar or similar, but I don't drink in places like that :-)

Posted by
2775 posts

Angela, it is customary to tip if you are waited on. I wouldn't dream of not tipping in a restaurant/cafe. As others of said, no tipping in pubs.