Please sign in to post.

The Cotswolds

We are staying one night somewhere in the Cotswolds. I need advice on which town to stay over night in and which ones to make sure I visit. Any suggestions?

Posted by
2775 posts

The Cotswolds are lovely. I love staying in Bourton-on-the-Water, any village would be great. The villages you should see are Bourton-on-the-Water, Broadway, Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in-Marsh, Lower and Upper Slaughters and Chipping Camden just to name a few.

Posted by
237 posts

Using a rental car is really the right way to see the Cotswolds. I agree with Robin's assessment except that I found Burton-on-Water way to touristy for my tastes. I was there in a steady rain and it was still too touristy. We stayed in Stow-on-the-Wold and it was really nice - just big enough but still quaint. Moreton-in-Marsh is much more blue collar and Cotswolds without looking for the tourist dollar. Chipping Camden is the other most famous town and is worth the time. If the weather permits I really recommend doing a walk - even something short like Upper to Lower Slaughter and back. The Slaughters are really charming despite the name - especially Lower with the "old mill" just like you think it should look. If you like gardens the Hidecote estate just north of Chipping Camden is pretty spectacular. I really recommend just driving around and following your interests or whims. You can't really get "lost" and you'll probably find something interesting. Some of my favorite photos are from a tiny Cotswold village we stumbled across looking at horses. Feeling slow pace of life in the picturesque countryside is whole point of that area to me. Have a great trip,
=Tod

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you so much for your help! We have booked a place in Chipping Campden.

Posted by
3696 posts

Hi Jennifer... (neighbor:) I love Chipping Camden and think you will enjoy it. I stayed at the Volunteer Inn right on the Main street and it was a great location. Be sure to visit the tea room for Cream Tea (or coffee) Some great scones! Also a wonderful Italian restaurant right near there (can't remember name) but we went there two nights the food was so great.

Posted by
1878 posts

I agree Chipping Campden is a great choice. My wife and I were there just a few weeks ago! Be careful about visiting on the weekends though because although Chipping Campden was not, Burton-on-the Water and Broadway were both massively crowded. With only one night, I don't know how much you will have time to explore. We stayed two nights and wished we had another night. Three would have been just about right. In Chipping Campden, you can go for a country walk, walk right by sheep in the pasture, right in town. That said, it's a lot bigger and busier town than we expected. Of course, we have a knack for arriving in the early evening/late afternoon when it's common for even small towns to be busy with traffic. One thing to consider is that the roads to reach the town will take you longer than you might expect by checking on the web, probably 1.5X what Google Maps says. With only one night you might want to err on the side of giving yourself extra time.

Posted by
35 posts

Hi neighbor & VS! Thanks for all the suggestions! They are great! We are staying at The Old Bakehouse. I am so excited!