Please sign in to post.

The Channel Islands

We are starting to plan for a trip(1st time) to the Channel Islands this fall. We are quite interested in the World War II history of the islands. Right now I have planned 5 days in Guernsey and 4 days in Jersey. For anyone who has been there--would that seem to be reasonable to tour these islands--with a bit of "relaxing" thrown in? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
22 posts

I am also interested in this information....I have plans to spend 4 days on Guernsey and 3 on Jersey in June and would appreciate knowing if we've allowed enough time on each or if I'd be better spending the entire time on only one island. Hopefully, I can pick it up from this thread that Rick started

Posted by
2 posts

I'll be in Jersey this fall as well, tracking down more of my family's genealogy. If anyone has tips for B&Bs or where to go for old family records I would be super appreciative.

Posted by
1986 posts

4 or 5 days on each of the islands is comfortable to see the sights. When I was much younger breezed around Jersey by public bus service for three days and had a ball. But that did cover all the sights. Also took a ferry from Jersey to Sark for a day. Definitely a worthwhile trip. I would do it from Guernsey - so you have four days on each Jersey and Guernsey. Would be tempted to try ans spend two days on Sark, very.very rural

Posted by
1326 posts

Rick - If you haven't already, I suggest reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

Posted by
6713 posts

Also try to find the "Island at War" miniseries that ran on PBS (?) a few years back -- if you haven't already seen. We got it on Netflix but there are probably other ways. Fiction but very well done, good portrayal of the islands and the times.