Please sign in to post.

Thank You

I just want to thank everyone who over the past year has given their advise on all my questions regarding my first trip to England. Had a wonderful time in Sept. and it was all I could ask for and more. It will be a vacation I will always remember especially since two days before I was schedule to return home I fell by Dover Castle and broke
my right wrist. Good thing I'm left handed. Everyone from the motorists, police officers, paramedics to hospital staff were all wonderful. Later that night when I finally got back in London and got on the undergroud to Victoria Station it was full of teanages.One boy immediatly got up and gave me his seat. Hopefully sometime in the future I will be able to make a return trip.

Posted by
2775 posts

You are so very welcome. I'm so happy that you had a great time. Sorry to hear that you broke you wrist towards the end of your vacation. One year my 17 year old daughter got food poison and I had to take her to the ER, had wonderful care and it didn't cost us anything.

Posted by
24 posts

So glad you had a great trip, and sorry about your broken wrist. We also visited England in September and had a great time. I was struck by how polite and kind and friendly the Britons were. Really just overwhelmed. Despite all the fascinating places we visited, it was really the people who made the trip so wonderful for us. Upon returning, the first person we encountered on the ground was the customs agent at the ATL airport, who was disgruntled and rude and dismissive. Very disappointing to get back to our "reality."

Posted by
449 posts

I remember an incident on my first trip to London, in 1998, that showed how helpful some Londoners can be. My travel luggage was a high end duffel bag of about 5,000 cubic inches and carrying about 35 pounds. I was lugging this when all of a sudden the bag felt lighter. When I looked down and backwards what I saw was a very proper Englishman, dressed in a conservative suit and wearing a bowler hat, who had reached down with his rolled up umbrella and had hooked the end grip of my bag with the umbrella's handle to lift it up and relieve me of some weight. I really appreciated that and have remembered this incident 14 years after the fact.