Please sign in to post.

Stonehenge Tour

Can anyone recommend a tour company that did an excellent job with this tour? Also where else should we go, Windsor Castle or ? Is there any area near by we could see some Old English type cottages..like Thomas Kindkade. If possible. Thanks everyone.

Posted by
433 posts

We did the EvanEvans tour, Windsor, to Bath to Stonehenge. Had a great time and never felt rushed anywhere. Stonehenge was awesome !!!

Posted by
237 posts

We didn't take a tour so I don't have a recommendation but we did go during the special after-hours trip where you actually get to wander among the stones either before they open or after they close and I think it is worth it if you really want the full Stonehenge experience. If you're going to pay for a tour you might look into the ones that offer this option for the full effect. Also there is great little-mentioned Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum inside the Salisbury cathedral close that covers local archaeology including Old Sarum and Stonehenge in some depth. http://www.salisburymuseum.org.uk/ I think this also worth the time to give more context (and some more serious scholarly views) around the building and potential use of Stonehenge. Good luck!
=Tod

Posted by
248 posts

London Walks has a great explorer day trip to Stonehenge and Salisbury. It is usually on Tuesday. We did it last Fall and enjoyed it very much. They have several other all day trips to Oxford, Bath, Cotswolds, etc. Check out their schedule. We have enjoyed several of their trips and also their 2 hour walks in London. Have fun.

Posted by
373 posts

Thanks everyone. I'll check out these tour places. Anyone else?

Posted by
571 posts

Mad Max tours, picks you up from Bath, does a half day tour of Stonehenge (basically, they just deliver you there; you then buy an entry ticket and do your own thing) and one or two Cotswold villages, including Laycock mentioned in the first response to your question. For me, a quick stop in Laycock was enough, but others find the small villages charming so you may want more. I believe they have a full day village tour, too. You can find their website via an internet search or just search "Mad Max" on this Rick Steves' site and you'll find many previous help line threads discussing it. I recommend them.

Posted by
1010 posts

We have taken Gray Line tours, many times in London. I think they subcontract the tours out and it might be to Evans Evans, I forget. You can go to Gry Line Tours.com and see a list of their tours and other information. I would assume that any tour company in London would do a great job.

Posted by
1 posts

We went with a small company out of Salisbury at www.salisburyguidedtours.com Ask to have a guy named Pat - we saw and heard all about thatched cottages with him as well. I only went to accompany some visitors and loved the tour even though I've lived around here all my life.

Posted by
373 posts

Thanks everyone. These look like interesting companies to check out. Will see which ones offer what we'd like to see.

Posted by
277 posts

We drove ourselves and enjoyed Stonehenge, but found Avebury more accessible and enjoyable. We found the little village of Castle Combe to be just like a Thomas Kinkade painting. It's the village that was photographed in the movie "The War Horse" because it's very authentic. If you can find a way to get there, take your camera and bring back some great photos.

Posted by
12172 posts

Old English type cottages? Three thoughts on the subject. Cotswolds is a great area for cottages, that may be exactly what you're looking for. Bath has famous Georgian architecture - really not cottages though. Stratford upon Avon has some older cottages, including a few thatched roofs (maybe rooves is appropriate for them?). Anne Hathaway's cottage (Shakespeare's love) comes to mind. I liked Stratford but many consider it a tourist trap (as if Cotswolds isn't?).