Please sign in to post.

Stonehenge

Hello everyone! I will be visiting London next summer during my backpacking travels. I plan on spending four days and four nights there. Will a day trip to Stonehenge by train be possible during that time, or should I just stay in the city? I'll be there the first week of July, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
68 posts

Thanks for the reply! I'd really like to go, but since it's not an easy train ride from London I'll probably focus my attention on my jam-packed city itinerary instead.

Posted by
208 posts

Caroline -
The train from London goes to Salisbury. From Salisbury, ask someone there and you can get a bus out to Stonehenge. If you're planning on spending time there, make sure you check and see what time the last bus is.

There is quite a bit to do in the city, but I happen to be among the minority in my like and respect for Stonehenge! (I'm enamored with standing stones!)

If you really like Stonehenge - don't forget to check out National Geographic Channel on June 1. There is a new special on Stonehenge.

Posted by
16251 posts

Or you can train to Salisbury, and rent a bike to ride to Stonehenge like we did. It was a delightful ride; take the back road through the Woodfords.

Our round-trip ride from Salisbury, including a stop for lunch at the Wheatsheaf tavern in Middle Woodford, and plenty of time at Stonehenge, was 4 hours.

Posted by
68 posts

Thanks to all of you for the tips! I wrote down the Salisbury connection in my notes, and will definitely keep it in mind when I return to London.

Posted by
3428 posts

You can also take the train to Bath, see that city, then catch a tour bus to Stonehenge that returns in time for you to catch the train back to London. You might also consider day trips to any of the following: Dover, Caturbury, Windsor, Cardiff Wales, York, Winchester, Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Posted by
1819 posts

If you are going next summer, go to the Stonehenge web site and click on "private access." You can make a reservation to actually go into the circle early morning (like 6:30 A.M.). You can walk around and touch the stones. Usually there are only about ten people and the security guard. But you must reserve this far in advance! We did it in 2005 and it was a truly unforgettable experience.
Stay in Salisbury---it's a very pleasant town with a beautiful cathedral. Daytrip north to Avebury, east to Warwick Cathedral, and west to Old Wardour Castle (the one in the Robin Hood;Prince of Thieves movie)

Posted by
2712 posts

We took an early train from London to Bath and spent the morning there. Saw the Roman Baths and Abbey and took a bus tour of the city. Then we rented a car and drove to Glastonbury and spent 2 or 3 hours there. finally, we drove back to London, stopping at Stonehenge. We got to Stonehenge very late in the afternoon which was a good time because the light was good for pictures. It was a long day and also expensive (it would have been cheaper to just rent a car and drive to Bath, but we were worried about starting out driving in London). However, it was by far our favorite day of the trip.

If you are dying to see Stonehenge and are the type of person who loves that kind of thing, then go for it. We loved it. But I know plenty of people who have been there and say to themselves, "So what." So don't do it just to say you've seen it. Do it if you really love that sort of thing. There are a zillion things to do in London, so if you're not a prehistoric freak, you might just want to stay there.