Please sign in to post.

Stonehenge

My husband and I are traveling to England in May 2013 to join the RS tour and plan to arrive in Bath a day early. We have considered a day trip to Stonehenge and would like feedback from others as to feasibility and worth of suc a day trip.

Posted by
591 posts

I would think that a RS tour that includes Bath would also include Stonehenge since they're not that far apart. Suggest check with the RS tour people first. Whether it's worth the time & cost to see on your own, well, you'll get different opinions. I've seen it and it reminded me of seeing Plymouth Rock...... after looking at it for 10 minutes it was time to move on.

Posted by
3744 posts

The Best of England in 14 days Tour includes a trip to Avebury stone circle on Day 4, but no trip to Stonehenge. See for yourself on the itinerary page for that tour: http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours/britain-ireland/england You may be interested in a trip to Stonehenge using Mad Max Tours out of Bath:
http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/ I have been on two of their tours and highly recommend them. The only problem you have is their half day tour to Stonehenge includes a stop at Lacock village, which you will be seeing anyhow on Day 4 of your Rick Steves tour. However, Lacock is so interesting, I wouldn't mind seeing it twice. The first time I visited Stonehenge was many, many years ago before the fence went up. We drove there by car, and it was lightly snowing when we walked up to it. There were no other people there, and it was awesome, because it was so quiet out there. If you rent a car to go out to it, go early in the morning as soon as they open, to avoid the crowds.

Posted by
2788 posts

We took a RS England, Scotland, and Wales tour. On that tour, we stopped at another famous stone marker site where we were able to wander around inside the site. Our guide told us that RS tours do this rather than going to Stonehenge where you can not get very close to the actual site. Never been to Stonehenge so I do not know if this was true or not.

Posted by
1986 posts

I fnd stonehenge a "mystical place' definitely worth seeing. I have been many many times and will go again next time I am there. As you will be seeing Avebury (very different feeling) with the RS tour, you may want to combine stonehenge with salisbury Cathedral. It is possible to see them both easily in a day- you can do this on your own by rental car, or by train (Bath to salisbury), special bus salisbury to Stonehenge and then back to Salisbury. (Unless its raining, do Stonehenge first, then you will know how much tiime you have in salisbury). While in salisbury, if you have time you can walk through the watermeadows for Constables view of the cathedral

Posted by
2527 posts

Yawn. Stonehenge was less than thrilling for me. Rent a good documentary video?

Posted by
9110 posts

Callanish Carnac Brodgar Avebury Almendres Stonehenge It's at the bottom of the list of the good ones. And the only one with a fence. And the only one with a souvenir shop on the premises.
And the only one that charges admisson.

Posted by
4535 posts

With respect to those that really do like it, I am one of those that found it less than thrilling. I'm not sorry I went, but as someone else posted, you pay your fee, walk around the fenced circle, stop by the gift shop and leave. I found Avebury far more interesting. The stones are not as large or dramatic, but it's far more picturesque and interactive.

Posted by
3940 posts

We used Scarper Tours - an hour out, an hour to look around and hour back...central pickup...the driver was saying they are building a new info center away from the site, but I'm sure that won't be done for a bit (anyone know?)...we were glad we went (even tho it started raining and was cold - we visited early Oct), as others said, a bit underwhelming (I think like most, we pic'd it bigger then it is)...that being said, it's nice to say we saw it, once was enough...and Bath is a lovely city - can't wait to revisit it!

Posted by
32696 posts

Can I join the "lukewarm crowd"? In all the years that I have lived in and visited England, and lived for many of those years in the West Country, I have only visited Stonehenge once. I've been near many times but only stopped once. For about an hour. It is nice enough, and I'm sure that now the road is underground that it might be a little quieter, but seeing it through the fence did less for me than seeing it on TV. I love Avebury, and the Rollrights and other ancient monuments and evidences of stone age man and iron age man - in fact there is a site just down the road from me where I ride my bike. I realize that I am in a minority but for me it was a long way for small reward. YMMV, of course.

Posted by
1068 posts

I went to Stonehenge a loooooooong time ago. We were able to ramble around and sit on the stones and soak everything in. I'm an "out and proud atheist" and tend to pooh-pooh all things "spiritual" - and yet, I cried. Just bawled. Something about the place just grabbed me, hard. Now that there is a chain link fence and a souvenir shop I will not go back. As far as I am concerned, it ruined Stonehenge. So, there's that!

Posted by
12172 posts

I like Stonehenge in the same way I like Neuschwanstein castle, the Eiffel Tower, or the leaning tower of Pisa. They're iconic sites. Once you have seen them, there is a good chance you will prefer other similar sites because they are less touristy, less crowded, and less expensive. The key here is "once you have seen them"; they are still icons and you should see them once - then form your own opinion.

Posted by
2361 posts

Brad is right on, we went to Stonehenge, to me it was worth the morning we were there, it was just one of those things we always wanted to see and am glad we did it.To each his own I guess.

Posted by
7025 posts

Agree that Stonehenge has such a reputation that it's on most everyone's 'bucket list' and worth going once. Can't imagine wanting to go back again unless you're in the area and with someone who hasn't been there.

Posted by
5505 posts

What "chain link" fence are people talking about? Is it outside of the area where you get tickets? I only remember a little rope "fence" to keep you on the pathway. You couldn't walk between the stones but you still got a full view of the sight. While Stonehenge is not a place I'd go back to, I'm glad that I saw it. If you are spending any time in London after your trip, London Walks does a day trip to Stonehenge and Salisbury. It is a nice option because they include a guided walk of Salisbury Cathedral and the area and also a guided walk of Stonehenge. They usually only offer it one day a week, so the timing might not work.

Posted by
3940 posts

There was a chain link fence between the road and the site (I'm assuming to keep people from just wandering in without paying)....the road runs right by it...there was just a low rope around the stones area....you get funneled into the ticket area, pass thru a underground walkway...so what about the souvenir shop...people want souvenirs - skip it or walk right thru - we actually purchased a really interesting book about Stonehenge as well as postcards for my sister. I am not sure, but I do think some of the money from sales goes back into the English Heritage commission...what's wrong with that? As I said - it is a nice place to see once, as was the leaning tower of Pisa (talk about souvenir shops/stalls...that was horrible - all that cheap crap) and the Accademia in Florence - I wouldn't go back, but it was nice to see it live and in person...

Posted by
32198 posts

Lynda, Stonehenge is perhaps the best known of the sights of that type, and as you're going to be in that area I believe it's well worth seeing. You can then decide for yourself whether it's worthwhile. One of the easiest ways to tour Stonehenge from Bath would be to take a tour with Mad Max Tours. They offer both full day and half day Itineraries, and it's a nice way to see the scenery while someone else is doing the driving. As I recall, the half day tour also stops at the National Heritage village of Lacock, which is partially where one of the Harry Potter movies was filmed. One of the places you'll be visiting on the tour is the small village of Stow-On-The-Wold in the Cotswolds. The Old Stocks Hotel has great food, but as I recall the portion sizes are "large". Be sure to leave some room in your luggage, as there are lots of nice shops in the town square, so you may be tempted to bring back a few things. I'm sure you'll have a great time on the tour! Happy travels!

Posted by
7 posts

Lynda: Stonehenge is well worth seeing. You do have a small rope keeping people on the path, but the views, particularly in the early morning or late evening are well worth the trip. The crowds are less, and they open the site for both the Winter and Summer Solstice, if you want the up close and personal view. One thing, mentioned earlier, is to allow yourself to be "open" to the energy of the place. It has more there that any other place I have visited in Europe, and has the ability to soothe in a way that few other places can. Spend some time and let it work its magic.

Posted by
38 posts

Hello to everyone -
I saw Stonehenge in 1975 where everyone was able to walk among the stones. I agree with Kira about there is "somthing about the place..." While I was in the circle the air was cooler that outside of the circle and the stones were cool to my touch. Glad I didn't have to see the circle through a chain link fence. Very happy that I went but I don't think I go again. Cathy

Posted by
222 posts

Thanks for the input! We are considering your thoughts before making a decision. We are very excited about the RS tour to England since we have joined the Eastern Europe, Greece and Turkey tours before and really feel comfortable with the RS tour experience.