Please sign in to post.

Stonehenge

We will be on the Best of Britain tour and have a free afternoon in Bath. How difficult is it to go to Stonehenge from Bath?

Posted by
23574 posts

I don't know, There is probably a bus but I don't think it is worth it other than to say you were there. About all you can see is what you see in pictures. It is fenced off and cannot get that close and you cannot get inside. You might consider something else.

Posted by
9123 posts

Frank, years ago you could easily walk around, through and touch Stonehenge.
Sadly, some soccer fans chose to express their love for their team and spray painted the stones. Sorry you were disappointed that you couldn't "get close."
Now you know why. I still find it one of the planets most amazing mysteries and could stand for hours looking at it. That's why there are apples and oranges.

Posted by
23574 posts

Claudia, we walked through, around, and touched SH 36 years ago with no problems. I was just commenting to the original question that the access now is very restricted and about all you can do is look over a fence at some distance. Again, hardy worth the effort.

Posted by
993 posts

It's not difficult, especially if you have a car. I notice you did not ask if it is worth it..It has been worth it every time I've gone. Would your schedule give you time enuf to apply for entrance inside the circle? It must be done well in advance of your visit.

Posted by
291 posts

Stonehenge is thoroughly worth it if you have a genuine interest, research the subject or have a good guide with you.

There is not a fence you look over as stated before, this is if you don't pay the admission charge to go in!
Stonehenge has a rope about 1 foot off the ground around it, closest point is about 30 yards from the stones. In some ways it works for you as you don't get lots of people in pictures.

Best to combine Stonehenge with Avebury about 20 miles north, a larger henge where you can walk among and touch the stones.