Please sign in to post.

stockholm

will be there for mid summer...ideas for restaurants....day trips from stockholm...places to go
thanks

Posted by
12172 posts

I think Uppsala would be a decent side trip from Stockholm, great history plus a college town.

Posted by
2876 posts

It'd be at least an overnighter, but Helsinki makes a great side trip from Stockholm, especially if you take the Silja boat.

Posted by
2715 posts

The Silja line goes to both Helsinki and Tallinn in Estonia. Both make great day trips -- you leave around 5:00, arrive in the morning, spend the day in the city, then take the boat back at night. The cost is reasonable, considering it takes care of two nights lodging. Both cities are fascinating, and it's easy to get around and see a lot. Plus the boat takes you throug the Swedish archipelago, which is beautiful. If you go to Helsinki, you'll go through the Finnish archipelago too.

Posted by
1525 posts

Just to clarify; the Helsinki/Tallinn trip is overnight one way & over two nights round trip. Kalmar castle is doable as a day trip, but isn't on my "A" list for castles if you have seen several others already. Stockholm itself will keep you busy for at least 3-4 full days. For food budget 2x what it would cost at home and for drinks, 3x.

Posted by
5528 posts

Will you actually be there on Midsommar Eve or Day? If so most shops and restaurants will be closed as many Stockholm residents will head out of the city to celebrate the holiday. Skansen is open During Midsommar and will have special activities.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Bob. In Stockholm I liked Hallwylska Museet at Hamngatan 4. It is a mansion located in central Stockholm, a short distance to walk from Kungstrad garden. Sign up for a guided tour of the mansion, in advance. If the tour guide talks in Swedish language, that is ok. In that mansion are several collections of items that were acquired by Wilhemina von Hallwyl in several countries in Europe, and in England. The baroque-style drawing room is impresive and includes a very old and rare Steinway grand piano. The house was completed in 1898. In 1920 she and her husband donated the entire house and its contents to Sweden. I liked that place more than Nordiska Museet at Djurgarden.