Please sign in to post.

staying in the Cotswolds

My wife and I are planning a trip in a few weeks to London and the Cotswolds. I have booked us at a B&B in Chipping Campden for one week. We've got tickets for a play in Stratfor on Avon and look forward to walking to and through many villages, and probably a side trip to Blenheim, but I'm concerned now that a full week may be too long in the Cotswolds. We're ending our trip with a day in Canterbury before heading back to London and home. Should we add a day or two to Canterbury? Has anyone with experience of the area any reactions/suggestions? Thanks

Posted by
719 posts

If you're totally into quaint and slow, then you should be fine in and around the Cotswolds (you have a car, right?) I always recommend more than a day anywhere, so you wouldn't go wrong by adding a day to Canterbury, but the town doesn't have tons to offer aside from the Cathedral. Plenty of old buildings, and the old wall, but it doesn't take long to see it.
There is so much to see in the Cotswolds, I'd keep my time there. You can always take drives further away to see other sites (England isn't that big, really).

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks, Darren. Your comments are very helpful.

Posted by
2800 posts

Keep your visit to the Cotswolds to your week, you won't regret it. Cotswolds are so beautiful, you will have a fantastic time there.

Posted by
1829 posts

I must admit that I did a double take when I saw that you were intending to end a stay in the Cotswolds with a day in Canterbury. A four hour drive to get there including driving past London and then backtracking to London? As has been said the countryside in that neck of the woods (Kent/Sussex) is pretty with quaint villages/towns and loads of old country houses and castles to visit, so an extra day or two in the area wouldn't be wasted. http://www.visitkent.co.uk/explore/attractions.asp?p1=ca

Posted by
1446 posts

We returned in May from a trip, primarily to the Cotswolds. We had a car and did day trips from our base. You can easily spend a week there. It's wonderful.

Posted by
1986 posts

I have been to the Cotswolds many times- one of our favorite parts of England- only once without a car, a little difficlut to see all just by walking (and the very rare bus). You do need a car. If you have a car, there is lots to see around the Cotswolds. one of my favorite jaunts is to Symonds Yat (overlooking the wye River) Tintern Abbey ruins (an awesome spot), even to the Abbey at Tewkesbury. You can also do Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. All of these make an interestimg break from the Cotswolds, but its nice to get back for the night. re Canterbury, I would certainly take an extra day- but i would use it to see sights and stop off along the way- Winchester, Midhurst, Brighton, Arundel, Rye (spending the first night in one of these). Canterbury probably only needs half to three quarters of a day. (the cathedral and the Mediaeval area around it). Dump your car there and train back to London

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks, everyone, for all this very helpful advice. All of you have made me completely comfortable with a week's stay in Chipping Campden. We will have a car and will take some of your suggested sidetrips. After the post from Linda about the distance to Canterbury, I thought, Oops! I'd better look at a map of the UK. I found my somewhat tattered road map and realized that my old English major's dreams of visiting Canterbury are not realistic. I'll have to settle for rereading the Tales. Incidentally, my wife and I tried to visit Stonehenge in 2001, but it was the year of hoof-and-mouth disease. Every walking path was blocked with police tape, as was Stonehenge itself.

Posted by
3696 posts

I stayed at the Volunteer Inn in Chipping Campden for a week and did day trips and I was never at a loss for things to do. Its a great town to stay in and the restaurants were great and they have lovely cream tea(yum). You will have a wonderful time. One of my favorite little places with great thatches was Greater Tew. There is not much there, but a wonderful little pub and supposedly the area has been used in the making of some films. Great place to have lunch and walk around the lane.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks, Kathryn. Greater Tew sounds like a good bet.

Posted by
3580 posts

It is easy to get to Warwick Castle by bus from Chipping Campden. Take the bus to Stratford-upon-Avon then catch another bus to Warwick. A few years ago, the bus stopped close to the castle. For the return, I walked thru town to the main bus terminal. At that time it was possible to buy an inexpensive day-pass for the area bus system.

Posted by
4087 posts

The countryside you will traverse was definitely not laid out by Romans in rectangular patterns. Some small experience with GPS suggests it is a wonderful travelling companion for the wandering roads of this lovely area, whether a personal device or intalled in a car (and even then you will get lost from time to time; build such scenic diversions into your schedule.)

Posted by
1986 posts

Cotswolds area- we got on fine with a good map. GPS would help but really not necessary. even the back roads are well signposted