Please sign in to post.

staying in Bath, how best to visit Stonehenge and Salisbury, July 14 2012

How can we take a train, then bus, to Stonehenge, then train to Salisbury, finally train back to Bath for the night. Would tour be available? Should we rent a car? Thanks.

Posted by
32331 posts

Yvonne, For the visit to Stonehenge, your best bet would be a half-day tour with Mad Max Tours. That particular tour also covers the small village of Lacock, which is a National Heritage site. For the trip to Salisbury, Bus is probably your best option. Check National Express for more info. I'm not sure it would be possible to do both on the same day? For travel in July, I would highly recommend pre-booking a Mad Max Tour. Happy travels!

Posted by
4 posts

There is no way to do Stonehenge and Salisbury on one trip? The tour to Stonehenge does not include Salisbury. I will not have time to return to Bath from Stonehenge, and then train to Salisbury for the cathedral. I do not know about the UNESCO Heritage site. Thank you for the information, I will check that out also.

Posted by
17253 posts

You could do what we did, although we started in Bristol. Rode the train to Salisbury, rented bikes, and biked to Stonhenge on a nice little back road, stopping for lunch at a pub on the way. At Stonehenge we locked up the bikes, visited the stones, and then rode back to Salisbury. The hardest part was crossing the motorway. The train from Bath Spa to Salisbury takes less than an hour, so you would have plenty of time for Salisbury Cathedral.

Posted by
4 posts

Riding a bike sounds such a fun idea. How many miles did you ride? Thank you.

Posted by
1986 posts

train from Bath to Salisbury (1 hour) . there is a bus service from Salisbury to Stonehenge (I have never used this bus); bus back to salisbury, train to bath or London. We usually rent a car- but train and bus are very do-able Easily doable in one day. I would do Stonehenge first and then you will have time in salisbury to see the cathedral and Cloisters

Posted by
17253 posts

Yvonne, the route we took (on a quiet road through Middle Woodford) it was right around 11 miles. Slightly hilly, but not too bad.

Posted by
14605 posts

I have used the bus from Salisbury to Stonehenge that Brian refers to, altho truth be told it was a million years ago. It seems as if we caught the bus at the rail station, had plenty of time at the site and returned by bus. It was very easy. (No the original builders were not still on site!)