Please sign in to post.

Stay in London

I just asked for some recommendations for nice hotels in London. I guess I should have asked first what areas would be best suited for 2 families--parents and kids aged 24 and 20. Looking for something in the vicinity of major attractions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by
3428 posts

The major attractions in London are not all located together. Any accommodations inside the circle line on the tube will be within reasonable distance of most of the 'must sees'. And most, if not all of that area is fine to stay in. It would help to know your budget and expectations and how many rooms you will need. Also how long you will be in London. With 6 adults (if I'm reading your post correctly) you will probably need 3 or more rooms if you use a hotel. Have you considered renting an apartment? Or hostels? There's a wide range of accomodations to from. Also, if we know what sites you are most interested in , and if you plan any day trips, and if you have another destination after London and how you are getting there (Eurostar, flying, driving, etc.) we can make more appropriate recommendations.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks for your input. We are actually 7 adults. One family of 3 that will stay in one room. And my family of 4 -looking for 2 rooms. We will be spending 8 nights on our trip. Probably 4 or 5 in London, 2 nights in the Cotswolds, and the other night still up in the air. We will be doing a day trip to Windsor while in London--although I am beginning to think maybe staying overnight there might be fun. I dont really have a preference as to which major attractions to stay near-- just looking for a nice area, close to a tube stop, with pubs and restuarants close by. I was hoping to find rooms for $100 - $150 a night. We would rather stay in a hotel than an apt. My husband and I went to London in 2007 -- but stayed
in Canary Warf. It was great -- but we would like to be closer to central London.

Posted by
993 posts

Tina, Premier Inns may not be very European but they are clean, well run and well located. We have often stayed at County Hall.There are several locations in and around London and indeed, all over England. Last spring we stayed in the Southwark location. County Hall is just over the river from Parliament and an easy walk to many major attractions. I like the neighborhood of Southwark better and it's just off Tower Bridge. The replica of the Golden Hind is nearby and the Clink museum. Easy walk to the tube stn and The Burrough Market and pubs. If you ask for a family room they will arrange it to accomodate 4 people.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well your budget per night is roughly 62-94 GBPs.. not alot , you may find two double/twin rooms in that price range, but your friends may have a bit more trouble finding a triple in that range. It will be easier if this trip is not in June , July or August,, being of course very busy months,, and the great budget places book up fast.. I would have booked a month ago if it was high season. don't worry, you'll find a room, but finding a good room that a deal too is much harder, and with your budget you need a good deal. I second looking at the Premier Inns, I also liked Base2stay Kensington, ( there was a PI right down the street from it too) but think maybe the prices may not be right. I loved the area though.

Posted by
44 posts

I also think that price range will be difficult. I stayed in the LSE dorms last year and highly recommend them. It was clean, quiet and in a great location. Hardly anyone was on my floor so it was like having private bathrooms. Paid about $100 per night for a very large triple.
good luck and enjoy

Posted by
1010 posts

London is one of the most expensive cities in the world. How did you come up with that budget? I wouldn't even bother going, if I had that limit on my hotel room. I wouldn't want to stay anywhere that only charged that much for a room. Have you heard of bed bugs?