Please sign in to post.

Southwest 8-Night...9 Day Itinerary 4/2010

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland for 8-Nights and 9 Days. I bought Rick's book, but I would like suggestions on where to start our trip, where to end, and how many nights in each town. We are renting a car and arriving at Shannon airport at 7 in the morning. I would like to only stay at a maximum of 3 differnt towns (2 would be ideal if feasible). I would like to concentrate on the Southwest part of Ireland drive through Killarney, Cork, Tipperary, Galway, and Westport. I guess I am looking for the towns to stay at that would centrally locate us and will allow us to travel by car to a few towns and attractions, but then return back to our sleeping quarters. We are newbies to Ireland, and we really do not know much. If you need more information from me, let me know. I would appreciate any help you can give me, I am a bit overwhelmed by everything.
Thanks,
Debie

Posted by
190 posts

I would suggest that you make a list of the places you want to visit, mark them on a map, and see what towns are central. Then get a good map, like Michelin, and figure the driving times. The driving times are NOT what they are in the States; I allowed 2 to 2 1/2 times what I allow for the same number of miles in the States. That worked well for me.

Hopefully, this will get you started.

Posted by
10 posts

But I don't even know where to start, I've been reading the book and there is just so much to see and do. So I was hoping to get some type of outline and plan to help me out.
Debie

Posted by
9363 posts

You can use www.viamichelin.com to figure your drive times and approximate costs for fuel. It's also easy to change your route on that site and look at alternatives. Since you want to concentrate on the southwest, you'll probably be OK with flying into and out of Shannon. If you were going to range farther east, you might want to consider flying into Shannon and out of Dublin or the reverse.

Posted by
9363 posts

We can't guess what your interests are. What kinds of things do you want to see -- historical/archeology sites? Nature/hiking/interpretive centers? Museums? Shopping? Everyone has their own opinions about what the "best" places are, but anywhere you choose will be great. But you really do have to start by making a list of things you definitely want to see, as Jo said, even if it's a really long list. Then we can help you narrow it down. Look at other guidebooks, too. Some have sample itineraries for varying lengths of trips.

Posted by
25 posts

Debra - look under the question that I posted earlier that asked people what their top 4 places to visit were.... it is very helpful - I am planning a trip also and have never been there but I am planning to stay in more places than 2 or 3 and also flying in and out of Dublin- so I just started working my way around the country going clockwise to map out a plan and now I am deciding what is a priority and what I can x off the list !I am planning a somewhat whirlwind tour and am trying to work in as much as possible to get the overall flavor of the country - scenery, history, music , pubs, genealogy, pubs , traditional crafts ,

Posted by
319 posts

Debra,

I strongly second Jo's suggestion that you take a look at a map and driving times. For example, Galway and Westport are in the northwest, not the southwest. It is possible to see all of these towns in 8 nights, but you'll want to make sure that you don't overextend yourself.

I know it can seem overwhelming, but you can plan your trip yourself. You're starting early, so that will make it a lot easier.

Best of luck.

Posted by
1819 posts

Consider laying your trip out in sort of a figure eight---a couple of nights when you arrive based maybe in Ennis for County Clare sites, a couple of nights in Clifden (north of there) for Connemara and a day trip to the Aran Islands, a brief stop in Galway for shopping and a quick look on the way down to Kenmare (longer drive that day) which makes a good base for the Beara peninsula and the Ring of Kerry and for a longish day trip to the Dingle peninsula. If you leave Shannon on a morning flight, consider a last night in Bunratty with a dinner at the Bunratty Castle Banquet--fun, even if touristy.
Here are two useful web sites: for accurate times and distances I like to use theaa.co.uk and for extensive information about Ireland, look at irelandexpert.com

Posted by
10 posts

You all ROCK! All these suggestions have given me a great start. Funny, but the route I started laying out does a figure 8. If we arrive at 10:00 a.m. Do you think it would be too much to rent the car and drive down to Dingle Town? Is it really that quiet in Dingle during April? I thought our first day would be arrive in Shannon, rent a car, drive to Dingle and stay 2 nights here.
Debie

Posted by
9363 posts

If you arrive at 10:00 a.m. it will be closer to noon before you get through immigration, get your luggage and go to the rental counter, then take the shuttle to the car lot. The drive from Shannon to Dingle is 2H 40M according to ViaMichelin, but that means it's more like 3.5 or 4 in real life. Factor in any fatigue from the flight, driving on the other side of the road for the first time, stops for lunch or photos, and you are probably looking at more like a 5+ hr. drive, plus time to locate your B&B. You might want to consider staying in the Co. Clare area that first night and doing the Cliffs of Moher or something on your first full day before heading south.

Posted by
10 posts

Wow, never thought of all those factors. Seriously, I was landing and hopping in a car, where was my head?

Posted by
9363 posts

That's what we're here for, Debra -- to give you the real picture. :) I forgot to add "getting lost", because you're bound to do that, too. On our first trip to Ireland we arrived at about 9:00 a.m. By the time we got our car and got out of the airport, it was close to lunch time. We drove to nearby Bunratty Castle (six miles from the airport), where there is also a little shopping center. The short drive was a good confidence-builder before really getting on the road. We had lunch, looked around the shops, then toured Bunratty Castle. We then drove to our B&B in Liscannor, five minutes or so from the Cliffs of Moher. We had dinner in Doolin, and were ready for bed by about 8:30 p.m. After a good night's sleep we were ready for a whole day of driving.

Posted by
319 posts

Nancy makes excellent points. It is possible to head to Dingle your first day. But you have to feel confident that you'll be comfortable driving in Ireland all day while jetlagged. If you do drive, you absolutely should switch off every hour or two so that the driver is always rested.

Posted by
9363 posts

I know we were very unsure of ourselves on that first morning, facing cars and trucks coming toward us on the "wrong" side of the road, and were very cautious (and slow) as a result. On my second trip I was alone, and had no problem at all hopping in the car and heading out.

Posted by
10 posts

You all have given suggestions that I could not get from a book. I've been copying and pasting all the messages into a word document. There is so much to consider and your input has touched upon topics (I never would have thought of) that will definitely make our trip run smoother. This forum is awesome.
Debie

Posted by
10221 posts

Debra, one thing you have in your favor is you are traveling from the East Coast, so it won't be as big a time difference or as long of a trip as us West Coasters. A shorter trip means less jet lag. When we went to Ireland for our first trip this last April I intentionally planned to only have to drive a couple of hours that first day. We landed in Dublin around 10 a.m. and arrived in Kilkenny (2 hour drive) in time for lunch. We had a very long trip with two plane changes, and I was very glad I didn't have to drive further that first day. You are lucky to arrive at Shannon. I hope you plan some time in Dingle. It was my favorite place of our entire trip!

Posted by
10 posts

I've been working on itineraries, now I need input. Too many stops? Too packed? Too ambitious?

On the first day someone suggested staying close by, because a ride immediately to Dingle would be too long and skies will be darkening by the time we arrive in Dingle. We arrive in Shannon at 10 in the morning not 7, but we are coming from the eastern part of the US (6-7 hour flight).
This is way above and beyond the number of stops I wanted to do, but we will do whatever it takes
Ideas:
#1 Arrive Shannon and travel in the order listed
1 night county clare: Doolin, Lahinch, or
Lisdomvarna..see Cliffs etc
Travel to Dingle via ferry
2 nights in Dingle
2 nights in Kinsale
2 nights Galway
1 night Ennis

#2 Arrive Shannon and travel in the order listed
1 night in Tipperary area..see rock cashel
2 nights Kinsale
2 nights Dingle take ferry then travel to Galway
2 nights Galway
1 night Ennis ...See Cliffs etc
Thanks A Bunch
Debie

Posted by
9363 posts

I'm more inclined to prefer option #1, but I'd spend your last night at Bunratty, not Ennis. It's very close to the airport, so it's easy to top off your gas tank, turn in your rental car, and check in for a late morning flight without feeling rushed. And I'd choose Lahinch over either Doolin or Lisdoonvarna for that first night.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks, that is exactly the type of information I needed to help me along my way.
Debie

Posted by
319 posts

Debra,

2 seems much better to me. Reason being that in #1 you head from Kinsale to Galway in one day. That is a LONG way.

If you did want to do the #1 itinerary, I would see Galway on the days after seeing the Cliffs. Galway is not that far from there.

But I'd consider dropping Galway. It's a nice little city, but I definitely didn't consider it a highlight of my trip.

Posted by
10 posts

Using Plan #1:
Arrive Shannon and travel in the order listed
1 night county clare: Lahinch
see Cliffs etc Travel to Dingle via ferry

2 nights in Dingle
2 nights in Kinsale
2 nights Galway
1 night Bunratty

Would you just bite the bullet and drive straight to Kinsale (is that about 4 hours?) and then stay 3 nights in Dingle or Galway?

Or using Plan #2:
Should we just bite the bullet and drive straight to Kinsale the first day and skip Cashel?

1 night Kinsale

2 or 3 nights Dingle

1 night County Clare

2 or 3 nights Galway

1 night Bunratty

Where would you spend the 3 nights?

Thanks Again

Posted by
9363 posts

Galway to Kinsale is shown on ViaMichelin as 3H 38M, which makes it more like 5 hours, probably. There is a lot to see along the way, though, even just driving by. Michael's suggestion of going to Galway after you see the Cliffs (in option #1) still doesn't save you a long drive if you continue to Dingle from there, since Galway to Dingle is just a tiny bit farther than Galway to Kinsale, and it's harder to get to in terms how straight the road is. I have done the Galway to Cork drive just off the plane and it's a long day, yes, but it's not that bad.

A good stopping point along the way from Limerick to Cork, if this is something that interests you at all, is a donkey sanctuary just off the highway a bit in the town of Liscarroll. It would make a great driving break on the way down. The sanctuary takes in abandoned or abused donkeys and cares for them for the rest of their lives. You can read about it at: www.thedonkeysanctuary.ie. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed our brief visit there on the way to Cork. The farm also overlooks a castle ruins in the town of Liscarroll. Oh, yes, and it's free to visit - but they survive on donations.

Posted by
12 posts

Hey I have to put in a word about Ennis in county Clare (close to Shannon Airport) It has a medieval towne centre and lots of history on the river Fergus.
I thought I could drive along way upon my arrival the first day in Ireland. But glad I chose to stay in Ennis and meet wonderful people,relax,explore and enjoy good food and accomadations. I would highly recommend B&B's. I stayed at The Grey Gables in Ennis and Mary Keane (owner) is great and the accomadations are delightful. Short walk to the towne centre and easy access back on the the road to the coast. I drove from the south of Tipperary to Achill Island, County Mayo with many stops in between. It was incredible. You will have a marvelous time. The adventure is enchanted and people warm as old friends you haven't met yet.

Posted by
10 posts

I just realized that Cork has an airpot. This would help out my itinerary a great deal because it would eliminate having to make a stop for the purpose of preventing a long drive down to Kinsale. Also it would help to eliminate another overnight stop. Are there any negatives to arriving in Cork?

I priced out one-way flights from Boston to Cork and then returning from Shannon to Boston. Prices weren't much more than a roundtrip to Shannon, so I thought it might be worth arriving in Cork.

Posted by
9363 posts

Don't price it as two one-way tickets. Do a "multi city" ticket - it should come out cheaper. I have never flown into or out of Cork, so I can't give you any input about it. It does have a more limited selection of airlines/flights, but if you find one you can use, it might be a good deal.

Posted by
319 posts

Debra,

Cork would make a lot of sense if you can find a reasonably priced flight. That way you can make a circle without doubling back at any point.

As for your previous two options, Option 2 would make more sense to me as you would not have to double back in that scenario either. It would be a long day, but you could head to Cashel on the way to Kinsale from Shannon.