Please sign in to post.

Southern Sweden

I'm tentatively planning a driving-ferry loop through Scandinavia next summer. I had thought of crossing from Malmö to Copenhagen, but I'm considering a short detour east to visit Ystad. Any one visited there and is it worth seeing for a quick look? If you've heard of or visited Ystad, you can probably guess why I'm asking.

Posted by
1446 posts

Tom, we have visited Ystad - spent one afternoon and a night there in a B&B. It's a beautiful cobble-stoned town - we thought it was worth the visit. There are quite a few historical sites close by too. Be glad to give you more information if you're interested in other things to see in the area.

Posted by
12040 posts

Karen, yes, that's EXACTLY why I asked. Thanks for the link. That show didn't hook me right away like Forbrydelsen did, but it kind of gently and gradually entranced me.

Posted by
59 posts

My wife and I stayed in Ystad in June 2011 and really enjoyed the town and the countryside. She is a big Wallander fan, so we picked up the guide from the TI office and wandered around the town looking at the buildings and sites featured in the books and TV series. I am not into Wallander that much, but still enjoyed it...very appealing town. We stayed in a B&B that was actually out in the countryside a bit (we had a car) and can recommend it highly: Kulturstallet Bed & Breakfast.

Posted by
1446 posts

I figured you asked because of Wallander. I too am a fan - have read all his books.

Posted by
1446 posts

We stayed at the Backagarden B&B in Ystad - just about 1/2 block from the main street. It was recommended by a consultant in the Rick Steves' office. It was OK.

Posted by
14497 posts

"If you've heard of...Ystad,..." The ferry link between Sweden and Poland is at Ystad to Gdynia.