Please sign in to post.

Soccer Centered Trip to London Fall 2014

Good evening all! Next fall my family and I plan to visit London for a week or so and would like to take in several matches, Premier League, Championship, doesn't matter. My son is a fan and this is what he wanted for graduation.
I am having trouble identifing the locations of Premier League and Championship teams and stadiums in and around London. Is there a resource out there that could help? I have searched the web and come up blanks.
Also would anyone know when the schedule for the 2014-2015 season will be announced?
Thanks for any assistance available.
Curt

Posted by
5311 posts

Premier League fixtures are released mid-June. This year it was 19 June. Football League now seem to release on the same day.

Posted by
8570 posts

I also encourage you to view a local soccer club match. [http://thelondonfootballguide.blogspot.com][1] Perfect way to experience how "football" is a way of life in Europe and to interact with the locals. Much more personable.

Did this for rugby years ago. Wanted to see a match so surfed the web and contacted [http://www.hampsteadrugbyclub.co.uk][1]. Was more than pleased by the correspondence and welcome I received when I inquired about attending one of their games. We were even invited to partake in the pub festivities following the match. Unfortunately, we were unable to attend as my companion came down with the flu the night before the match. One of the biggest travel disappointments ever, not being able to go. However, their response to my inquiry did reaffirm the generosity of others when traveling. Still makes me smile when I think about it.

Posted by
1068 posts

Curt, I am loathe to promote underage drinking (not sure what age your son is) but I would be remiss if I didn't note that watching a match in a pub with supporters is also a footie experience not to be missed! (It's significantly cheaper than tickets to a match, too, in case you aren't rolling in bags of money and/or can only get tickets to a few live fixtures.)

We use this site to find pubs where they're showing specific matches. It also lists pubs that are good for watching a particular team with its supporters! http://www.matchpint.co.uk/

Gift tip - don't forget to check out the store at the stadiums you visit. They have all the official merch - including the latest kits and all the "fashion" apparel, sports supplies, branded coats, pens, tea cozies, mugs, and memorablilia that any fan could desire.

Does he support a particular team?

Posted by
56 posts

Thanks Kira and all. My son is 23 or something, so the watching in a pub is a great ides. I like the idea of seeing the local clubs as well. I am sure the Premier league tickets will be pricey but it is a once in a lifetime trip.

Posted by
53 posts

Curt,

The BPL schedule is generally released mid summer but with The Cup going on, it may adjust their release date. London clubs include Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Crystal Palace and West Ham - these are just the current teams in The Premiership. To get a ticket, I would use guardiantickets.co.uk or viagogo. Better yet would be to befriend a current club member and see if they can help you out. Yes, catching a game in a pub is fun but nothing compares to going to one. Good luck and KTBFFH! :)

Posted by
56 posts

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Our local team in Kansas City, Sporting KC won the MLS cup this month. We are fans and have lots of Sporting gear to wear. What would be the advice on wearing our colors in any pub or area of London?
It will be an adventure for sure. Do the Championship league teams play on Saturdays and Sundays? Are there games in that league during the week as well?
Thanks again.

Posted by
5311 posts

The 'weeks off' within the season may be for international games, so there might well be an England game at home at some time in those periods.

There are quite often Premiership domestic mid-week games when there are no UEFA Champions / Europa League, without considering the Championship

Posted by
8570 posts

I should add that for soccer buffs as yourselves, a visit to Lillywhites on Regent's Street is a must. Have fun!

Posted by
98 posts

I would suggest a mix of Premier and Championship matches would fit the bill with maybe a game at one of the glamorous teams such as Arsenal or Chelsea on the one hand and a match at West Ham or the like to experience
a more passionate or authentic atmosphere.

Another idea would be to take in a stadium tour which most of the bigger clubs offer. I can certainly recommend the tour around Stamford Bridge which I recently took as a birthday present. I think Arsenal's Emirates Stadium would also be good as well as Wembley which isn't a club ground but is England's home ground and the venue of the FA Cup.

Posted by
4023 posts

Kira, what a wonderful link! The Internet really does have something for everybody!