Please sign in to post.

Sleeping in London

Will be traveling to London for the first time this September. RS suggests several neighborhoods for accommodations. Looking for recommendations; prefer nice B&B rather than business-type hotels. Will be staying 4 nights in London before driving to the Cotwolds. Thanks.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks Rebecca. Tried them but didn't have availability for a 4 nights we need.

Posted by
3761 posts

Also try this one: www.asterhouse.com It has won best London B&B twice in the last 5 years. It's in South Kensington, close to Harrod's and the Victoria and Albert Museum. I've stayed there twice, and it's very quiet. The owners make you feel very welcome. I would go for this one over the others, come to think of it. It's only one block from the tube station.

Posted by
27 posts

Margaret - a lot more than I originally thought!!! Been searching in Victoria Station/Westminster area as well as near Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Several choices, some with lifts, some without; some with A/C, some without. Did the "no lift" thing in Italy a few years back - it was okay but I was younger then. For mid-September, do you need A/C or not? Thanks.

Posted by
970 posts

AC in September? I think maybe. London's weather has been warmer than usual the last few years. Remember, too, that it is a large urban area and that your building probably will be older and lack contemporary ventilation. If I had a choice, I'd choose the AC, just in case.

Posted by
149 posts

St. Margaret's Hotel in Bloomsbury gets good reviews. Some have shared bathrooms, so if you want en suite, be sure to specify that. http://www.celtichotel.com/stmaccomodation.htm Arosfa Hotel, also in Bloomsbury. You can sometimes find reduced prices for this hotel on wotif.com http://www.arosfalondon.com/ As far as AC in September, for me lack of AC that time of year would not be a deal breaker. Historically, it rarely gets above 70F in September, although anything is possible, of course. See chart below (Click on "F" for Fahrenheit temps) http://goo.gl/HFaWR

Posted by
101 posts

Just spent 8 nights at the Celtic (old name is St Margarets I think) Definitely not deluxe. Small rooms (about a foot around the beds), but clean, friendly, safe (hotel is kept locked at all time), fantastic breakfast. They have some rooms on the main floor.

Posted by
410 posts

I could recommend the Vancouver Studios in Bayswater - I stayed there for 5 nights 2 months ago and could not fault. Excellent location - close to 3 underground stations, supermarkets, bars, restaurants, yet fairly quiet. I don't think airconditioning would be required in London in September.

Posted by
7 posts

Jeff, We have stayed just outside Paddington station the last two times we have been to London. There are a number of smaller, older, but vey clean hotels in the Sussex Garden /Sussex Place area. Great if you are flying into Heathrow as the Heathrow Express goes right to Paddington station. Hotels in this area are within walking distance of the station and have lifts. Very reasonable prices for London. I do not believe the rooms were air-conditioned, but I'd take my chances in September.