Please sign in to post.

Sleeper car from London to Edinburgh in May 2009

We have 2 adults, 3 children and we are planning to buy the 8 day Great Britain Flex pass, but are not sure how that works for reserving a sleeper car. Can we use one of our pass days for a sleeper car? Does it require an additional charge to reserve a sleeper car? Would it be better to pay for our sleeper car separately and use our BritRail pass for other days instead?

Posted by
312 posts

Hi Jackie,

Hopefully a voice with actual experience pipes up. Meanwhile, here is a link I have been reading on the topic:

http://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm

If you have bought your pass from Rick Steves, perhaps this could be one of your questions. When I bought mine recently there was something about I could ask 3 questions for free.

Cheers.

Posted by
102 posts

Thanks so much. I've read all over that web site that I hadn't found before. I saw the bargain berths. They are not available for the dates we want yet, too far out. This web site was very helpful though! It answered so many questions I wasn't sure how sleeper cars work with rail passes, what they look like, how many to a room, etc. Great site.

Thanks again!

Posted by
3428 posts

If you go from London to York (about 2 to 2/1 hours) you could spend the afternoon and one night there. Then the next morning York to Edinburgh (again about 2 1/2 hours). It breaks up the trip nicely and both journeys are nice- good scenery, etc. without being too long for the children.