Please sign in to post.

Sim card

Is there a store/vendor to purchase and install a sim card at the Dublin Airport? If so, what are their opening hours and could you describe where in the airport it is located. Thank you

Posted by
9363 posts

Is your phone unlocked? If it isn't, you won't be able to use another company's SIM card.

Posted by
32206 posts

Cliff, In addition to being unlocked, is your cell phone a quad-band GSM model? Some of the shops may be inside the secured area, so if you're in the arrivals area you may not have access to them. Are you arriving at Terminal 1 or Terminal 2? Dixons is probably the best bet for a SIM card, although I'm not absolutely sure they sell them? If you're not going into Dublin and don't want to wait until your first stop in Ireland, you could always use a SIM from one of the travel phone firms. That way you'd have a working phone as soon as you step off the plane and wouldn't have to bother with looking for a SIM card. Happy travels!

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you, this information helps. I also called DA and was told SimLocal is in both terminals and they open at 6am. Simlocal's website has been useful too.
Thanks again!

Posted by
4 posts

The phone is an Iphone4s, it has worked with other sim cards in Europe. My wife and her aunt are doing this trip to Dublin with Road Scholar, which run a pretty tight schedule, so not much free time thus the desire to purchase a sim card at the airport. My wife is unsure of her ability to install and activate a pre-trip sim card purchase so she would like to have a phone tech person at a store do the swap and insure its working properly. I would really appreciate an answer to my original question. Thanks

Posted by
70 posts

Hi - Voda have gone but there's a SIMlocal shop in the T1 arrivals hall; double-check by email or phone though as things may have changed; I can't find a reference to them on DAAs site because DAA only promote their own 'Loop' shops. It'd be worth checking the hours they are open too. Their website with contact details is at simlocal.ie. Hope that helps!

Posted by
9 posts

There's a convenience store in the main lobby, but they charged €20 for a SIM with only €5 credit. I got one to get started, then hit the Meteor (Irish Telecom's cell service) store once in Dublin itself and got a SIM at no cost, and a much better plan for the rest of my trip. I liked Meteor since I could top-up online with a US credit card (even back in the states, plus when you topped up (€10 minimum), it extended service for 1 full year). Alas, I haven't been back and let my service lapse - but it is convenient having a phone number in advance for your travels. If you're near a Tesco, consider picking up a SIM from there for really cheap calls back to the US (1¢/minute)... Jim