Please sign in to post.

Senior traveler

Hello! My 82 year old grandmother has always wanted to go to Ireland and we're going in September. We're taking a bus tour, but but have free time in Dublin on the first day. We land at about 9 in the morning, but I'm not sure what she'll be able to do, especially after a long flight.

So, I was wondering where you would go and what you would do if you only had a few hours in Dublin?
And is the hop-on, hop-off bus worth doing?

(She's not much of a museum person, plus the tour is taking us to see the Book of Kells the next day.)

Posted by
32331 posts

Shauna,

It will take some time to collect your luggage and clear Immigration in Dublin. I'd suggest taking a Taxi to your Hotel. There's a queue outside the airport for Taxi's and you won't have any trouble finding one - there are LOTS of them. Your Driver will probably be quite talkative, so you'll get up to speed on the local news straight away!

Which area is your Hotel in? Under the circumstances, I'd "play it by ear" and see how your Grandmother feels at the time. If she's really jet lagged, a short nap might be in order?

The Hop On / Hop Off Bus tour would be a good way to get some idea of the layout of the city. As I recall, one of them stops near the Kilmainham Gaol, and that's definitely a worthwhile site to visit (if you're not too tired). I have "mixed feelings" about the Guinness Storehouse. It was interesting to see (and of course have a "free" pint), but I wouldn't place a high priority on it.

You might like to do a bit of a walkabout in the Temple Bar district, just to have a look. For other sights, I imagine your tour will cover those (which tour are you taking?).

Happy travels!

Posted by
85 posts

Shauna, I don't know where in Dublin you're staying, but do get your Grandmother to see Christ Church Cathedral across from the Harding Hotel. The church is really unique (and I've seen quite a few), and she might enjoy the eveningsong at 3:30. The Temple Bar area can get very loud, but there are a few decent restaurants tucked away here and there along the way. There's also plenty of little grocery stores along Lord Edward Street to pick up snacks or sundry items.

Posted by
977 posts

An early afternoon trip on the hop on hop off bus would be a good thing to do. I personally wouldn't bother with the Guiness brewhouse. Kilmainam Gaol is definitely worth seeing. Also I doubt whether Nan would be all that interested in Temple Bar. A stroll along Grafton Street and up to St.Stephens Green would suit her more I think.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. To answer some questions, the hotel is ~10 minutes (Google walking distance) south of St Stephens Green, so Grafton Street might be a good idea. The tour is through the 9-day Gate1 multi-city bus package. After driving in Italy, my mother will never allow my father to drive in Europe again.

Oh, and it will be a Sunday when we arrive.