Please sign in to post.

Scottish Highlands

Hi there, I'm going to be in Scotland in June and I have 4 days to see Glencoe, Isle of Skye, and Loch Ness before heading to Inverness and catching a train back to Edinburgh. I'll have a rental car, but I'm just worried about how much time I should devote to each area. I'm renting the car in Oban (arriving by train from Glasgow) and heading out for the Glencoe Valley, then Skye, then Loch Ness. I'm just not sure about driving distance between areas. How long will it take, for instance, to drive from Skye to Loch Ness? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Renee

Posted by
5678 posts

It's about two hours from Portree to the Southern tip of Loch Ness. But you need to throw in time to stop and see the views so plan on three hours. It's significantly less if you're leaving from the near the Bridge. There a number of routes you can use. You can go one direction and see Eileen Donan. Use Via Michelin to look at routes. Then add some time. From Oban to Glencoe it's about an hour without stops. It's an hour and a half technically from Glencoe to Mallaig. This is short because the views are spectacular and there are sites to visit Glenfinnan for example. Then you need to catch the ferry from Mallaig to Skye. Personally, I don't think that there is much to see at Oban. It's more of a ferry port for me that can get you to Mull. Glencoe has a good Visitors' Center. Skye is a wonderful island. It has good walks. There's a Broch, some castles, beautiful scenery. In Inverness, you should visit Culloden Battlefield. Fort George is interesting. If you haven't yet seen a stone circle, check out Clava Ciairns. It's not a tourist city, but it's center of the highlands and real Scots work and live there. Pam

Posted by
2716 posts

You don't need to spend a lot of time in Glencoe if you are pressed for time. You will see it as you drive through. It's quite beautiful. I would try to spend two full days in Skye and the rest in Inverness/Loch Ness. I can't remember the exact driving times, but Oban to Skye and Skye to Inverness are fairly easy drives with lovely scenery along the way. You can get estimated times on Michelin's web site.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks. The distances do look minimal on maps, but I know I'll want to stop and look at everything. I'm taking the train from Edinburgh to Oban and renting a car for the four days in the Highlands. Any tips for car companies in Oban? I know I need to do it from home before I go. Vroom Vroom doesn't work so I'm wondering if I should contact Avis or Hertz here. Is that the way to go?

Posted by
427 posts

My group in 2009 took the train from London to Edinburgh, then we drove up through the Highlands to Isle of Skye, then came back trough Inverness/Loch Ness. Yes, Skye to Loch Ness is about two hours. But roads are narrow and watch for sheep. Edinburgh is now my dream city--I would move there in a minute. Give yourself plenty of time to walk around and see the city. Isle of Skye was awesome--we gave it three days but could have done more. Inverness was a nice place to get out of the car, walk around, have lunch, but don't know if I would stay there. Loch Ness was gorgeous--actually much nicer than I was expecting. It was April, and there was were hardly the crowds I was expecting. Glencoe Valley was beautiful--didn't stop there, but would have liked to do a short hike.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks. I went to the Via Michelin site. Very helpful! I won't see all I'd like in 4 days. I'll just save some things for next time.

Posted by
5678 posts

Renee, Have you checked for rental companies in Oban? I think that they are just local companies and you must return them to Oban. I may be wrong, but do look in advance. It's not a bad drive from Edinburgh to Oban. Alternatively, you could take the train to Inverness, pick up the car there and drive back towards Glasgow and / or Edinburgh. You get one way rentals in Inverness. I've done it. Pam