Please sign in to post.

Scotland Sept 2011

I'll be going on my 2nd RS Tour in Sept. 2011 to Scotland. Aside from the requisite rainproof jacket and shoes, are there any MUST TAKE items that would be worth bringing? Anyone going on this tour (Sept 18-28) or has been on this tour?

Posted by
629 posts

We visited Scotland in May and were quite happy that we brought sweaters. Wear your sweater or sweatshirt on the plane unless you plan on buying one. You'll be glad you have one when the wind starts to howl! Also, do wash your clothes at the local launderet - have some fun meeting the local characters. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
5678 posts

Layers. I would bring a warm layer - fleece or sweater - even if you plan to buy a sweater while you are there as you don't want to pressured into buying one just to keep you warm. ; ) I would recommend a warm hat and gloves. You may not need them, but oh, you'll be very happy if you need them. Of course, you might decide to buy the hat there. Pam

Posted by
203 posts

We were there a few weeks ago and didn't get any midges, but we had some cold days. I was glad to have a scarf. You can buy insect repelent when you get there. I wouldn't let it take up space in your luggage. Have fun!

Posted by
1499 posts

September is one of the best times for Scotland...it may rain...but the clouds blow away...for some bright days too. Layers are always the best plan...some light weight waterproof shoes with good arches. (Clarks have served me well). They have plenty of Woolen shops there...but they are expensive...so take a couple of your own sweaters to wear over turtlenecks. Bring some scarves or hat that won't blow off. Take one skirt and one pair of slip-on shoes to wear to a nice dinner or theater...it's a nice break from being rustic.

Posted by
629 posts

Good tip from April. I totally forgot that my wife & I wore scarves and were quite happy keeping our necks warm.

Posted by
3551 posts

rainhat or umbrella and waterproof shoes.
We were this June and needed all of above. enjoy it is a wonderful counrty to visit.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for all the useful tips. I'm definitely all about the layers. I was going to bring a lightly lined waterproof, some long sleeved layers, and waterproof hiking shoes (I found a pair of merrell's that I love.) Any of the ladies have recommendations on good pants to bring (besides my trusty jeans)? All the ones that I'm finding seem to be too light for September in Scotland.

Posted by
241 posts

Hi erica Scotland is very variable at any time. I would add gloves. Umbrella may just be a nucience as it can be windy. Layers are vital. Note - it could also be warm! When warm and still there are midges on the west coast - sept will prob be ok though. Have a lovely time (it's very wet here just now)
S

Posted by
1499 posts

I found that jeans weigh a lot; especially when wet (and take a long time to dry) compared to other pants...look at travel clothes on-line for other choices. I found that black knit pants are perfect for travel: they stay nice and they don't rub you in the wrong spots.

Posted by
5678 posts

I can understand being concerned about warmth, but I would recommend still bringing some quick drying pants with you. When jeans get wet they can take a long time to dry. Whereas some of the contemporary fabrics will dry more quickly. I don't think you'll need it, but you could always toss in some silk long underwear to be a second layer, which would also dry quickly. I usually am hiking and so have some rain pants which can resolve these issues as well. Pam

Posted by
5678 posts

I can understand being concerned about warmth, but I would recommend still bringing some quick drying pants with you. When jeans get wet they can take a long time to dry. Whereas some of the contemporary fabrics will dry more quickly. I don't think you'll need it, but you could always toss in some silk long underwear to be a second layer, which would also dry quickly. I usually am hiking and so have some rain pants which can resolve these issues as well. Pam