Please sign in to post.

Scotland rail travel

I see Britrail and Scotrail, any preference?

Posted by
67 posts

Both were fine. In Scotland, it seemed to be mostly Scotrail.

Posted by
8700 posts

You are not likely to have more than one train company from which to choose to get from point A to point B. The train company on whose trains you will ride is dependent upon which company offers service on any given route.

Posted by
970 posts

There is no train company called BritRail. It's an initiative of private rail companies targeting ticket sales to international visitors.

Posted by
484 posts

I used Scotrail just last July. It's nice and comfortable. The employees are friendly and helpful. I found it helpful to look up train times and costs ahead of time. I purchased tickets online before going to Scotland. I picked-up my tickets at the station just before boarding. This worked well for us. Just print off your ticket information and take with you. Make sure you take the same credit card that you used to pay for the tickets online. This is used to verify your tickets at the station.
Sometimes, there is a big price difference traveling at a particular time. This saved us money when traveling from Inverness to Edinburgh. Plus, the train time still worked well with us.